Has anyone resleeved from the 40 to the 32 with success?

Kvp1029
on 12/1/13 4:22 am
Revision on 12/28/13

Pic had VSG in September of 2007. My highest weight was: 398, lowest maintained until this weight 136lbsI current weight 240.  5"8.  I had a high stress job, I was a police detective for 9 years. 12 was hard on my.. I worked 3 baby deaths. 3 murders and 5 sexual assaults in a 6 week period.  I began having nightmares, then day daymares I told. my chief so I got taken off my duty and sent home with a severe PTSD.  Being a cop to me was almost as rewarding as being a mom.  But there is no other agency that will hire me due to failed psychological.  Though I made great strides with  recovery/ remission for the PTSD.  All this to say I had to resign in February 2013.  I went into a horrible deep dark place in my usual depression.  I couldn't make myself, I didn't care about myself. My Heath , nothing.  So I stopped exercising and went back to eating what I prepare for ,my family.  The weight piled on.  I felt like I was so detached from myself that I watched it happen.  Well in August I decided to get my diet back on track.  Protein first.  Always have drank a gallon of water a day.  I also started walking just to try and get my wind back. It didn't work my weight went yo by 30lbs.  I'm feeling defeated.  My sleeve doesn't work anymore. No restriction. I'm finally out of the darkness and feeling like a failure with my job, but now I'm fresking out about all the weight I've gained.  I've even had plastics because my weight had stayed the same and I was fit and active.  My Dr used the 40 canuli on me in 2007. I am considering just the resleeve because my Dr is using a much smaller canuli.the 32.  Surely taking 8 inches will make a difference.  I'll be a cash pay patient and I don't think my Dr does the DS.  Thoughts. Opinions please!Sorry this is so long winded!

Zee Starrlite
on 12/4/13 8:50 am

Find a good doc that can perform a DS on you.  All best!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 5:06 am
On December 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM Pacific Time, Kvp1029 wrote:

Pic had VSG in September of 2007. My highest weight was: 398, lowest maintained until this weight 136lbsI current weight 240.  5"8.  I had a high stress job, I was a police detective for 9 years. 12 was hard on my.. I worked 3 baby deaths. 3 murders and 5 sexual assaults in a 6 week period.  I began having nightmares, then day daymares I told. my chief so I got taken off my duty and sent home with a severe PTSD.  Being a cop to me was almost as rewarding as being a mom.  But there is no other agency that will hire me due to failed psychological.  Though I made great strides with  recovery/ remission for the PTSD.  All this to say I had to resign in February 2013.  I went into a horrible deep dark place in my usual depression.  I couldn't make myself, I didn't care about myself. My Heath , nothing.  So I stopped exercising and went back to eating what I prepare for ,my family.  The weight piled on.  I felt like I was so detached from myself that I watched it happen.  Well in August I decided to get my diet back on track.  Protein first.  Always have drank a gallon of water a day.  I also started walking just to try and get my wind back. It didn't work my weight went yo by 30lbs.  I'm feeling defeated.  My sleeve doesn't work anymore. No restriction. I'm finally out of the darkness and feeling like a failure with my job, but now I'm fresking out about all the weight I've gained.  I've even had plastics because my weight had stayed the same and I was fit and active.  My Dr used the 40 canuli on me in 2007. I am considering just the resleeve because my Dr is using a much smaller canuli.the 32.  Surely taking 8 inches will make a difference.  I'll be a cash pay patient and I don't think my Dr does the DS.  Thoughts. Opinions please!Sorry this is so long winded!

Well, the problem is this.  Your starting BMI was fairly high.  Sleeves are not effective long term for higher BMIs.  Many can lose with a higher BMI/sleeve but they don't maintain their weight loss.  By the time you are up to 398 there are metabolic issues that a sleeve can't fix.

A far better bet would be to leave your sleeve alone and add the DS to it.  That is really what should have  been done to begin with merely due to your BMI.

Of course, you have to know that no surgery type fixes white carbs.  That one is all on us.  Flour, sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes.  DS will fix about 40% of the potato but none of the others.  It's all on us.  You can revise to anything you want but until you deal with the white carbs it's just going to keep coming right back.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 5:08 am, edited 12/5/13 5:09 am

BTW, just for the record I do not have DS.  I am not pushing DS because that is my surgery type.  I have a sleeve but my highest weight was 252.  Thus, a sleeve is what works for me.  You already know a sleeve does not work long term for you so it's time to find something different. 

With DS you already have the first half done, the sleeve.  The 2nd half is just the intestinal rerouting and the long term stats are hands down, far better than RNY.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/13 7:13 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I would consider getting a re-sleeve definitely IF your doctor can do it safely AND I'd add the duodenal switch for some extra help with maintenance and weight loss. The DS is the best surgery for maintenance but you need to try and get rid of the sugar and simple carbs. Throw the junk food out of your house until you can control yourself around it. I am very sorry for everything you've been through. It sounds very stressful and I can understand why you've had issues with gaining weight while going through all of this. I wish you the very best.

Kvp1029
on 12/6/13 6:49 am
Revision on 12/28/13

Mistake my highest weight in 2007 was 298.  

MsBatt
on 12/8/13 4:47 am

Sorry, but there's NOT an 8-inch difference in a 32 bougie and a 40 bougie! Each unit equals 1/3 mm, so a 34 French bougie equals 11.3 mms, or 0.44 inches. the difference between a 32 and a 40 would only be 1/3 mm X 8, or roughly 3 mms.

Here's a picture of comparison bougie sizes:

Re-Sleeving from a 32 to a 40 would be like going from a permanent marker to a Bic.

Adding the Switch would really be your best long-term solution.

Most Active