RYN Revision

Mslayd02 aka Mrs.
Big_Cle

on 2/21/14 3:24 am - Durham, NC

Ok......So I had RYN in May of 2008 and I lost about 106lb and have put almost all of it back on. I am looking into revision surgery and just wanted to get to feedback from those who have had revison after a RNY, what procedure you had, if you had succes, and any complications that you might have had. This is going to a self pay so I want to see if it is really worth it. I realize my mistake after the previous surgery but unfortunatly it is so hard to drop a pund now, even correcting my eating and excerising.

Angela D.
on 2/22/14 10:28 am - Iowa City, Ia
Revision on 01/28/14

Have you been back to your surgeons office for any testing, like a upper GI or scope? Thats where I went when I had gained all of my weight back, He found problems with pouch and opening and a hernia, I am 3 weeks post op RNY revision from Open RNY 5/02. 

Mslayd02 aka Mrs.
Big_Cle

on 2/22/14 11:28 am - Durham, NC

My appointment is Friday. 

Angela D.
on 2/23/14 5:19 am - Iowa City, Ia
Revision on 01/28/14

Great, i hope you get some answers!!  

DrAceves
on 2/25/14 2:58 am - Mexico

You have several options for revising your bypass. From placing a lap band over it to give you  restriction once again, to giving you more malabsorption  and making the pouch and  stoma smaller.  Revision surgeries are very unique so it will depend on what your surgeon  observes with your current bypass. Certainly revision surgeries  are more difficult and risks  involved  are higher than a first time surgery, but  if you have a good surgeon who has experience with revision surgeries your risks diminish. If you have chosen a good surgeon trust him to do his part. 

I congratulate you in  taking  responsibility and  planning to do better this 2nd time around.  Revising your bypass  through surgery will be a great  great help in realizing your goals but  learning from your previous mistakes will be just  as important. 

Bets of luck on your new journey!

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

Mslayd02 aka Mrs.
Big_Cle

on 3/22/14 1:38 am - Durham, NC

So I finally had my appointment with Duke Metabolic weight loss center I was extremly disappointed. My visit basicly consisted of a few question pressing on my stomach and the being told I was not a candidate because I did not insurance coverage.  I knew I did not have coverage and was prepared for self pay. In a nut she'll they said they wouldn't even do a work to see if any revisions needed to be done because I had no coverage.  So I paid for a consult to help understand why I have gain so much of  weight back to basically be told you can't afford it, meet with nutritionist until you get new insurance coverage. Poor way to treat patients and a poor way to do business. Never judge a book by its cover, I have the money to pay for my surgery but I would never have it done with this facuity!

Whit
on 3/25/14 9:17 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I revised from RNY to DS 12/10/12 and have lost all of my excess weight. My BMI is 20 and I am pretty healthy. It has not been easy. I had a leak and a second surgery 10 days after the first surgery. I was out of work for 14 weeks total. But it was totally worth it. I felt if I was going to have surgery again I was going to have one that would more likely have long term success. 

Good Luck

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Karen M.
on 3/28/14 4:34 am

I had RNY surgery January 12,2009 I lost 100 lbs  keep it off with eating right and exercise daily. Had a new baby in 2011 and some of the weight came back.  I had a Revision surgey December 6.2013 I haven't lost but 10-15.   

Whit
on 3/28/14 10:34 am
Revision on 12/10/12

What king of revision did you have? 

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Karen M.
on 3/28/14 11:32 am

Rny revision my pouch was tighten up and he took out more intestine 

Most Active
Recent Topics