I dont know what to do

dee492
on 5/7/14 5:21 am - Chandler, AZ

I am just about 4 1/2 years post RNY. I am struggling....I still have restriction and can't really eat all that much, I have a lot of pain and bloating with anything and everything I eat, and SEVERE gas. I am always feeling sick, but at the same time I am gaining weight. My lowest weight has been about 172 and it is now up to about 220. Prior to surgery I was 311+   I am feeling like a failure, and do not know how to get back to where I can lose and keep it off, especially when I don't even take in over 1200 calories a day 95% of the time.

surgery 312                     current 184                       goal 150          
MsBatt
on 5/7/14 10:55 am

Okay---where are those 1200 calories coming from? How many grams of carbs do you normally consume? Do you journal your food?

The bloating and gas also make me think too many carbs, but they could also be caused by a bacterial overgrowth in your gut. You might want to get a stool culture done.

You say you still have restriction, so mechanically your surgery is still doing what it's supposed to. However, at 4.5 years out, you're no longer malabsorbing any calories. The RNY may simply not have made enough difference in how your body metabolizes food, in which case a revision to the DS might be in order.

Epthomas59
on 5/8/14 1:18 am

You need to go back to your surgeon and get checked out. I wish you the best.

dee492
on 5/8/14 5:55 am - Chandler, AZ

thank you

dee492
on 5/8/14 5:54 am - Chandler, AZ

Honestly I have not kept a food journal for a very long time, and I don't know how many grams of carbs per day that I take in. Here is my day yesterday:

Breakfast: scrambled egg with tomato spinach and feta cheese

snack: approx. 10 to 15 mini pretzels with a string cheese

Lunch: none (upset stomach)

snack: 1/4 cup dry honeycomb cereal -this is not typical but I needed something and this is all that was available for me

Dinner: Taco salad...Salad with ground beef cheese and salsa, a dollop of sour cream as well.

I will start to journal my food again strictly. But I notice things that were helpful in the beginning of my surgery, are my enemy right now, especially beans and chicken....they both make me horribly ill and gassy, I bloat and look 9  months pregnant.

:(    sigh

Most Active
Recent Topics