RNY in 2005, but now have gained 70 plus back!

rnin2011
on 5/30/14 6:34 pm
Hi everyone, I first ventured on here in Oct. 2013 in the back on track section. I did get back on track and in 2 months lost around 15 pounds. I had RNY in 2005 and started at 270, down to 130 and was maintaining at 150. But over past 4 years the weight has returned and now I weigh 205. I have made an appointment for Tuesday in Fort Worth Tx, where I am living, to see if anything such as revision may be done. Anyone with some successful stories about revisions after RNY?

Dian
on 5/31/14 3:52 am - New York, NY
Lap Band on 06/02/14

Hi!

Your experience sounds very similar to mine.  I had RNY in 2002 (I was also 270 lb) and found that my sweet spot was 150.  I kept it off for six years, then I slowly began to feel hungrier and hungrier and my weight began to creep up.  I fought like crazy, but it just kept creeping!  By the time I hit 220 late last year, I was in panic mode and sought out a bariatric surgeon to see if anything had gone wrong with my innards.  He did an endoscopy and discovered that my stomach was still very small, but the opening to it had completely relaxed.  Food can't stay in my stomach long enough to satiate me (or be of much use to my body), so I'm always hungry and the only was that will stop is with a revision.  It's an actual medical thing, not my own complete failure as a human being!  

After seven months of hoop-jumping, I finally got my insurance approval and I'm all set to have a Lap-Band put over the opening on Monday morning!  It's adjustable, so this should never happen again.  Fingers crossed, anyway.  :-)

Good luck on Tuesday!

tdbull
on 6/3/14 1:35 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Can I ask how you're doing with the lap band over your stoma? I know my first and second WLS was band, and I had the worst problems with it - getting too tight, having to have emergency unfills, and then the GERD - finally surgeon had to remove my band and do a revision to RNY. I always worry about my stoma stretching and my gaining weight back, and wondered what my options would be. I hate the fact of having any sort of band reinserted, tho.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

pineview01
on 6/3/14 7:51 am - Davison, MI

Most BOB's aren't out far enough to have they problems showing up in mass yet that we had.  Having had a band you couldn't pay me to get another.  That is why I went with the sleeve so that if I need help later I can get the DS switch and keep my pyloric valve intake.

The positive is you shouldn't have the GERD with the BOB as opposed to the band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics