Revision from sleeve to rny.

jillbeme
on 7/10/14 12:47 pm
Revision on 07/29/14

After reading everything I believed the ds was the plan for me.  My surgeon on the other hand has a different idea.  I have to take nexium 40mg twice a day sometimes in between I eat tums as well.  He said that he believed that if I pursue the ds that the acid reflux would not be resolved.  He recommends the RNY.  I as have IBS.  He again thought that might worsen if I do the ds.  He believes that the rny will alleviate a lot of my issues.  Starting the insurance process now.  

Jill     

DYFAN
on 7/10/14 2:28 pm, edited 7/10/14 2:29 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

I'm scheduled to have a revision from the sleeve to RNY on July 16th.  Scare to death, never thought that I would be rearranging my intestines but the reflux is not being helped by medication.  Even on medication the test results showed I have a lot of reflux.  I've come to accept that the surgery is the only way to fix it and with me gaining back half the weight I lost on the sleeve, I'm moving forward.

Did tell the Dr. that he shouldn't be surprised if he comes to see me before surgery and I've run away.  I don't think I will but the thought has crossed me mind but every so often the reflux reminds me by waiting me in the middle of the night either choking or getting ready to vomit.

I have IBS too but can't get a good answer on what RNY will do to it.  I've got the controlled a lot better since the sleeve with what I eat and medication so just hoping it at least stays the same and not get worse.  My gastro said no way to predict what will happen.

Good luck on the process.  

jillbeme
on 7/11/14 1:45 am
Revision on 07/29/14

Keep in touch I'm anxious to learn how you feel after?  Are you revising for weight-loss as well?

DYFAN
on 7/11/14 3:28 am
RNY on 07/16/14

I will...

The main driver is the GERD but yes for weight loss too.  I never got to goal with the sleeve and than gained some of it back.  I have about 60 lbs. to lose.  Don't know if I would be doing if it was just for weight loss.  

mawdebo
on 8/5/14 2:55 pm

I wished I had the bypass to begin with as well. Looks like we all found some people with the same issues. My first time around was self pay as well. If nothing else I hope the Gerd goes away it is terrible I have to prop pillows and most times that don't work. Like right now I have it. Just because of drinking water. I lost 100# first time around. Never got to my goal. I have gained some back. I need to loose 50 -60. This time hopefully it will happen. To the ones that have just posted hope to keep in touch to see how were doing. Good luck all !! 

My first goal 

Lizzie_Bennet
on 7/11/14 7:11 am

Your stories do sound similar to mine! I would have done the RnY to begin with if I'd known the sleeve would interfere with fixing the GERD. I had GERD before the sleeve! But it was 2009, and the sleeve was brand new. I was self-pay so I had no insurance to consider, so I went with the sleeve. The stats now show the sleeve can aggravate GERD. (I am worried the insurance is going to deny the peer-to-peer and say the GERD is a complication of the sleeve!) I have a bad case of 'shoulda-woulda-coulda'. Wish I didn't need to do a revision, but the PPIs just don't work any more!

Good luck and keep me posted!

Ladytazz
on 7/11/14 1:37 pm

I had a sleeve, too, as part of my first WLS and the GERD was terrible.  Haven't touched a PPI since 3 months post op (my surgeon had me on 3 months PPI's for ulcer prevention).

As far as IBS, I had my revision in part because I had chronic diarrhea as my first WLS was very malabsorptive and my eating was terrible.  Bad combination.  Prior to WLS I had IBS C and I had a feeling that after my revision that would be the case again.  And it was.

After 8 years of never once having a solid bowel movement now I deal with constipation.  Again.  At least now there is Miralax, which I take daily, but it doesn't always help.  I eat right, get lots of fiber and I still have issues.  Oh well.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics