old new larger band

cocoapresh
on 1/4/15 10:54 am

I was successful for about a year with my lap band before I failed it. I gained almost all my weight back. In the past couple years I begin getting esophageal ulcers.the last doctor that I had been with and I didn't like would not let me have another lap band but just wanted to take the old one out. I saw a new doctor and he said I have a choice of several different surgeries. I wanted the band because I was afraid of cutting into my stomach. Just before surgery a couple days I decided I wanted to sget the sleeve. I was told no because I would have to go through all the paperwork and classes before I could have the sleeve so I therefore had the band. I couldn't wait another 6 months to have something done  because of the ulcers and because of having acid and food choke me at night and even come out my nose for the past few months. Has anyone had a lap band revision from one band to another and been successful? This is what worries me! And the reason why the band did not work and had to be removed was because of scar tissue.

nursebonnie
on 1/5/15 3:03 am
VSG on 08/19/14

So they took out your lapband and put in a new one?

cocoapresh
on 1/5/15 3:49 am

yes, they took out the old band and put in a new larger band. The problem I was having with the band was that scar tissue had built up under the band and the scar tissue had to be cutout.

thanks!

airbender
on 1/5/15 11:21 am, edited 1/13/15 7:07 pm

I am not sure what you mean by you failed it?  because you gained the weight back?  that doesn't mean you failed.  Subsequent bands have a high rate of failure.  Be careful with the band(s), make sure you have good follow up and don't dismiss GERD, vomiting, etc. .  Scar tissue is common with the gastric band, can cause a host of issues and not to be taken lightly.  Refer to:

Over the last decade, more than 130,000 laparoscopic adjustable gastric bandings (LAGB) have been performed for the treatment of morbid obesity.  In those patients who underwent rebanding as rescue therapy for failed primary laparoscopic banding  (45%) experienced a secondary failure with need for revisional surgery.  Surg Endosc. 2008 Feb;22(2):448-53.  High secondary failure rate of rebanding after failed gastric banding.  Müller MK, Attigah N, Wildi S, Hahnloser D, Hauser R, Clavien PA, Weber M.

Also refer to info and pictures on scar tissue at: http://blog.dssurgery.com/2014/11/adjustable-gastric-band-easily.html

good luck to you and keep advocating for your health

Hislady
on 1/5/15 3:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

Your surgeon is a jerk and sounds like a band mill! The vast majority of second bands fail. You didn't fail your band failed just like it has for thousands of us! This band will also build up scar tissue and you will be right back in the same place a few years from now thanks to your inept surgeon. There is no reason why you would have to repeat or take a bunch of classes except that he would require it! I would strongly urge you to find another surgeon and get that band out ASAP because if it caused reflux and ulcers before it will cause them again so be very careful. Be sure to get any reflux under control right away. If you have a revision you are just about going to have to have either RNY or DS because the sleeve also causes reflux and since you already have issues you shouldn't have it done.

Don't let the reflux go on untreated if it returns as it can cause a condition called Barretts esophagus which is a pre cancerous condition and very serious. Good luck but don't count on this surgeon to help you!

Most Active
Recent Topics