Had Lap Band Failed Gastric Sleeve Failed Now Looking at Gastric Bypass, Anyone have to...

caligina
on 1/10/15 10:03 am

Hi Everyone! Been several years since I have been on this site. I had lapband surgery in 2006 and I had to have emergency surgery to remove it in 2011. In summer 2011, my doctor did a revision to a gastric sleeve and I wonder if he did it correctly because I never really lost much weight...21 lbs after surgery and that was it. I felt like a failure so I did not want to go back to the doctor. However, I spoke with a friend who had surgery same day and she could eat 1/4 of an egg and I could eat an entire egg and was still hungry. That is when I knew it was a waste. I am considering having gastric bypass and am wondering if anyone else have 3 surgeries before or been down my same path. If so please tell me your experiences.

Thanks

Gina

Chilipepper
on 1/10/15 10:11 am

You have a sleeve already.  You are halfway to a DS. It would be easier to go the DS route because they may not be able to construct a pouch. You have your pyloric valve. Keep it if you can and just go get the bottom part done. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

caligina
on 1/10/15 10:46 am

I just don't think the doctor did a good job on my sleeve. I can eat like a normal person

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/15 12:13 pm

IF I had the sleeve, I would probably revise to the DS. They could re-sleeve you, then add the malabsorption. Since you are looking at surgery #3, there is a risk that the gastric bypass won't be as effective as a virgin surgery. Had I known in 2004 what I know now, I would have started with the DS. As it is, I'm revising a gastric bypass in hopes of avoiding a complicated revision to the DS down the line (and because I can't afford it). Definitely research, research, research!

caligina
on 1/10/15 12:25 pm

Thank you. I am going to look in to the DS. I know a person who had it done so I am going to talk to her about it! Thanks for the input.

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 1/23/15 3:46 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

I also would do DS especially if you have a long history of re-gain

I had the band then RNY and now am on the fast track to revise my RNY, HOPEFULY to make my stoma smaller and bypass more intestine .

I actually am embarrassed to have to have 3 damn surgeries to keep my weight off , when I am at goal to maintain my weight I can't eat over 1,000 cals a day, sure is hard to do when you are STARVING HUNGRY . Cutting out all carbs helps a lot for the hunger issue but hasn't worked for any weight loss

Best wishes

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

BlueEyesAL
on 4/25/15 4:03 am

Wow I am glad to know I am not the only one!  My first sleeve failed after a few months,  then 4 years later I had a revision sleeve,  which ALSO failed but resulted in a hernia and left in stitches, which will require more surgeries.  It's been a nightmare, and I haven't lost weight other than one month that I lost about 9 lbs by dieting brute force,  my sleeve didn't even help and I was having a growling stomach and hunger the whole time. I quickly regained that 9 lbs. The only way I can lose is to diet strictly and exercise.  And I don't have a slow metabolism, I just have no success with the sleeve and know that calorie control is the only way I can lose weight,  which would have been best for me to just have no surgeries and diet from the beginning.  It's a hard road for some of us,  others have it much easier! 

Most Active
Recent Topics