Apollo Overstitch Procedure @ Cleveland Clinic---Feedback on results?

drizz75
on 4/7/15 11:39 am

Hi all!

I'm an old member, but evidently my profile was purged, so I had to make a new one. 

I'm Dana. I live near Buffalo, NY and had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass in 2002. I started at 352 lbs. and lost about 130 lbs. overall. I fought the last 30 lbs repeatedly over the years, but lately it has been a losing battle (in the wrong direction.) I have now gained approx 50 lbs. over my lowest weight, and started seeking revision options. 

I returned to my initial surgeon, Dr. Joseph Caruana, but was denied because he said I'm a "success case." I consulted with Dr. Tran Pham, who used to be Dr. Caruana's partner and assured me this would not be a problem, but he (after 6 months and several appointments) also denied me. Dr. Pham suggested I try NYC or The Cleveland Clinic. 

I called The Cleveland Clinic, and consulted with Dr. Stacy Brethauer. After a couple of not-so-pleasant procedural tests, it as determined that my pouch is fine, but the opening between the pouch and the intestine is stretched out, which explains why I am hungry all the time. Dr. Brethauer suggested the Apollo Overstitch procedure. 

I've done a bit of research, and see that there have been several studies involving this procedure that showed impressive results, but I was wondering if anyone could let me know how the procedure worked for them, weight lost, etc. I'm excited that I'm able to have a procedure that, relatively speaking, is minimally invasive, but I'm concerned that the results may not be great. 

Thanks in advance!

Info: 

http://apolloendo.com/overstitch-system-full-thickness-suturing-provides-bariatric-solution/

http://www.slideshare.net/elliotgoodman/stomal-reduction-with-apollo-overstitch  (lots of pictures of innards)

http://cabellhuntington.org/services/surgical-weight-control/overstitch-or-endoscopic-gastric-suturing/

Hislady
on 4/7/15 2:07 pm - Vancouver, WA

I don't know anyone who has had it done but I have seen on a forum I go to that it is more promising than the Rose and Stomaphyx procedures and the results have been very good. It may have to be done again down the line but so far it is better than the other options. I know several nurses in the field and they have also said this is first procedure that is showing progress. So at the present time this seems to be the best game in town.

Samantha M.
on 4/16/15 2:12 am - Portsmouth, OH

Hi. I am not sure if it is the Apollo, but I am having an overstitch procedure done on April 30, 2015. Dr. Tracey Pitt in Cincinnati Ohio is doing it. The office is in the same building as JourneyLite and the entire staff is AMAZING at this place. Dr. Tracey Pitt and Dr. Trace Curry are in the practice together. I will update you and let you know how it goes if you want me to. You can also add me as a friend. Good luck in your search. I can't find any results either!!! Def no testimonials yet.

mommy2kns
on 5/20/15 9:00 am

How are you doing?  I am just now in the research phase of getting a revision and I'm near this office.  I am requesting a consultation with them regarding this procedure and the band over bypass, but would love to hear a testimonial regarding this doctor.

Thank you. 

cher22
on 6/16/15 4:12 pm - Oak Park, IL

Hi sweets! Hope this note finds you happy and doing well!! 

Wondering if you had the Apollo ? Still havent had mine ugh !   Insurance wont approve it !  Most likely going to be self pay. 

Would love to hear from you when you get a minute 

Peaceful day to you 

Cheryl 

Melissa S.
on 8/1/15 11:20 am - Bristol, VA

I see Dr. Nease did your original surgery.  He is my surgeon too.  I really love him and the girls.  I am having the Apollo Overstitch with him on 8/5/15.

WisconsinHouseCat
on 7/7/17 6:10 pm

Hello Samantha! Did you have the Overstitch done 2 years ago? How did it go? Have you lost weight? I hope to be having that same procedure with the same Doc, Dr. Pitt in the next month or so. Would love to hear how your experience was for you.

Thanks!

MrsJuly
on 6/21/15 9:09 am, edited 6/21/15 9:09 am

You sound EXACTLY like me. "Successful" according to the insurance company, yet broken...and broken in a way that is not considered a covered complication. I had the Overstitch done 1/12/15, and I'm down 31 from my final office weigh-in before surgery. It's not an outstanding amount, but I admit that I struggle with food addiction and have a hard time staying on track. I do NOT regret the surgery because I do have my tool back. I get full more quickly, my negative physiological reaction to unhealthy foods has returned. I am a (slow) work in progress. I've been doing pretty well the last two weeks, as if it's finally clicked. It's hard to explain, but my brain seems better. My husband is having the sleeve on Wednesday, so I think that will also help.

Keep in mind that this surgery is less invasive and is a good alternative if you aren't desperate enough for a riskier procedure. I paid $4900 total, but I also considered Mexico as an option for revision ($6500) since my insurance denied a revision. Mexico is still an option, but I'm just not to the point where I'm willing to face the risk. Maybe eventually, but not now. I hope you are able to find the right revision for you!

Most Active
Recent Topics