GASTRIC SLEEVE CONVERTED TO A GASTRIC BYPASS...HELP!!

DivaDimples
on 6/23/15 8:10 am - LA

Well its been a minute since I posted on this site, but that say you always come back to your roots when things get tough. I was sleeved on 03/15/2011 lost 115 lbs and have been happy with the surgery and my results, however in the past year or so I started having problems with when I eat I would have this sharp pain between my breast bone when I swallow and it also caused me to start having really bad pain GERD and Acid Reflux. I was diagnosis with a hiatal hernia, and my doctor felt it was necessary to do a hiatal hernia repair surgery. It seem to resolve the problem I though I was back on trac****il one day which was about 2 months after the hernia surgery I started feeling the pain again, I thought I had a hernia again and the Acid Reflux came back. After numerous exams and GI imaging, my doctor told me that he didn't think that the hernia was back but in a few rare cases this happens and when it does and you continue to have problems with the pain and Acid reflux he suggested that my sleeve be converted to a gastric bypass!! Of course Im terrified and scared and dont know what to do. Currently he prescribed some meds thats helping give me relief however I dont think this is a long term solution. Has anyone been converted to a bypass or know of anyone.. I really dont want to undergo another surgery but want to be healthy and make the right decision... Thanks

Butterfli2005
on 6/26/15 6:26 pm

I can't tell you much about revisions over all since I have not had one yet ( waiting on insurance approval) But I am trying to do a revision of a RNY. I had it in 2003, and started gaining back my weight aggressively about 6 months ago. My biggest issue is that my body seems to have adjusted to the metabolic aspect of the RNY and is no longer working as reduced metabolism. This is causing lots of problems for me. But having said that, I lost 117 lbs. from my first surgery, in two years. And I was a healthy weight until 2010. I would suggest that if you do consider a revision it be to either a DS or eRNY. I, in doing research, have heard of lots of positive feedback for the DS, but a lot of insurance won't cover that procedure, and their are relievedly few surgeons that are skilled to do it. I personally am working to get the eRNY. My insurance flat out won't cover a DS even if I did want to do it, but my surgeon has preformed about 1000 revisions from other procedures to eRNY and he said he has had really good long term results in nearly all of his patients. There is a Facebook support group named Distal Bypass Support Group that you might consider visiting and / or joining.. it has both pre ops and post op's of the eRNY (Distal RNY) and will give you a good view how life is as a post op revision. I don't know if anyone on there has gone from a sleeve to a eRNY but it is really helpful to see life after a Distal revision. It isn't for all people, but for me the life style change is well worth it!

Ladytazz
on 6/29/15 6:12 pm

I had a sleeve previously with my first WLS and my reflux was terrible.  Two or more Prilosecs a day and I still have problems.

It was so bad I would wake up choking on acid.

I was revised to a pouch nearly 5 years ago and haven't needed a Prilosec since.  Completely cured!  Didn't have the revision because of the reflux but this was a happy byproduct.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

AmberK
on 7/21/15 1:18 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

You said you revised to a pouch? Did they do the full bypass on you or just trun your sleeve into a pouch? 

thanks for you help!

Most Active
Recent Topics