Band to RNY and struggling

Jenbug43
on 11/2/15 10:16 am

I have posted this before but I'm still looking for answers. I went from band to bypass on July 2nd. The surgery went great and I do feel better without the band. But - at four months out I never ever feel full. My surgeon did an upper GI and mechanically all looks good. He said that he doesn't know why I don't feel full and maybe I never will. I am losing very slowly (40 lbs. total and haven't lost in 3 weeks) and he said that he doesn't know why second WLS surgeries don't do as well but not to expect to lose too much. We ended the visit by him suggesting that I do a liquid diet for 14 days if I want to try and lose a few more pounds and a referral to a therapist (I got the impression he didn't believe me about not being full). I have tested this by eating just chicken breast and steamed veggies and I still never feel full. I really don't know what to do at this point. My self esteem is in the toilet and I have to force myself just to get out of bed and go to work. I hate being overweight more than anything and I just feel like there is nothing that I can do about it at this point. I am not exercising at this point which my surgeon knows because I just can't find the time. I am working three jobs and two nights a week I only get about 4 hours sleep because of work. I'm a hot mess! I can eat just like I never had any surgery at all and i see people posting that they can only eat a few bites of food. I feel so defeated and miserable. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

A. Robinson
on 11/4/15 12:16 pm - Columbia, TN
VSG on 04/29/13

I'm sorry you are struggling. I pray that it gets better. I had hunger issues after my VSG. I would feel full for a while, then its like everything emptied out quicker (no matter what protein I ate & I felt hungry pretty quickly again. I felt like such a loser. I am so ashamed of my weight loss failure. I go to see a surgeon in Chattanooga next Wednesday & I hope he has some encouragement for me. Maybe your body isn't getting enough rest...you have to rest to lose weight and you're obviously in a situation where you feel you need to work that much. If you need to talk...message me.

Jenbug43
on 11/4/15 12:43 pm

That's exactly how I feel.....after I eat I feel "empty." I also feel like a big failure!

Sherrie P.
on 11/12/15 4:47 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

You need to stop and measure your food. Your nerves may not have healed and they are not sending the signals to your brain that you are full. Just because you don't feel full doesn't mean you should keep eating. Measure and stop. Count your calories. Not to disagree-- but I have never felt full on liquids...ever. They run right through the pouch!! Not to mention make me miserable.

Are you hungry-or just seeking a full feeling?

Are you eating and drinking at the same time? You won't feel full if you do because the fluid washes the food right out of your pouch. 

Are you exercising? Switch it up. Log your food. Unfortunately even with WLS I feel like I am always on a diet!

good luck and don't give up!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active