Lap-band for Nine Years to Gastric Bypass

TrelawneyDawn
on 12/7/15 11:42 am - Houston, DE

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here.  I've had a lap-band for nine years and I'm finally having it removed on December 22.  It has caused me a lot of problems (and pain)  and I've gained most of my weight back.  I will be scheduled to have a by-pass in May or June 2016 (my insurance makes me wait 6 months).

I was wondering if anyone else who's had this revision done could give me some pointers on success rates, etc.  I got the lap-band because I didn't relish re-routing my insides, but this is where I'm at.

Thanks!  

Dawn

?When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.?
 -  Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

mwoods1234
on 12/7/15 2:36 pm

HI... I'm a newly band to bypass revision. I had the lap band 2005-2015 and while it worked initially I lost it all and gained it all with a slipped band, horrible reflux, pregnancy and then it landed me to the decision of removing and converting to RNY.

I was able to have my surgery all at once. It has been near perfect, I've had very little problems. If I have gotten sick it's my fault eating too fast or not chewing well enough and that has only happened twice in 10 weeks.

One thing to keep in mind is Dr's tell us we will loose at a much slower rate than a first time WLS patient. I haven't really experienced that yet. I am loosing at  good pace in my opinion. I am down 41 lbs in 10 weeks so far.

Just follow your plan set in place by the Surgeon and you'll do fine. I also bought the big book on the gastric bypass and read it cover to cover prior to surgery and it was really helpful for me .

Best wishes!!!

TrelawneyDawn
on 12/8/15 6:07 am - Houston, DE

Thank you for your comments.  I heard that most people have the revision all at the same time, but I think my doctor wants the lap-band out and wants me to heal before doing the by-pass.

41 pounds in 10 weeks?!  I'll take that.    I carry my weight a little evenly, so 41 pounds will get me back into a size 14.

I think I'll get the book you suggested.  I need as much info as possible.  The surgeon who did my lap-band gave me almost no information going in.  I didn't even have any nutrition classes.  I went to the seminar and a month later I had a lap-band with no support.

Thanks again and best wishes to you as well!

Karen D.
on 12/7/15 5:34 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I'm band to vsg revision.  I had my band in 2006 and have had problems for 4-5 years.  It has been nice in the last 2 weeks to be able to swallow without things getting stuck.  I'm starting pureed tomorrow and hoping eating more solid food will continue to feel different.  I can definitely tell the band is a thing of the past!  Good luck to you!!

TrelawneyDawn
on 12/8/15 6:11 am - Houston, DE

Hi!  Thanks for your input.  That's what I'm looking forward to in two weeks.  I will finally be able to eat without the pain and nausea.  I'm pretty much on liquids and soft foods right now because of the pain the band is causing me (my port is twisted on top of it).

I'm really looking forward to getting the by-pass.  

Good luck to you as well!!

Valapp
on 12/9/15 9:00 am

I got my Lap Band in 2009 for the same reason as you, didn't think I wanted my plumbing re-routed.  For the past two years, I had nothing but problems.  Everything got stuck, had horrible reflux, my port was always twisted etc.  Found a new surgeon because the original one never offered any support when I was having trouble.  My new surgeon sent me for an upper GI and told me the band had to come out.  He removed the band and converted me to RNY on the same day July 27, 2015.  It has been such a relief not to have food get stuck anymore and no reflux! I haven't lost as fast as some who had never had surgery before, but I am still pleased.  My first goal was to get below 200 pounds and I have met that goal.  I am working on my second goal now to reach 175.  When I reach that goal, I will set a new one. Hope things go well for you.  Keep us posted. 

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

TrelawneyDawn
on 12/9/15 10:45 am - Houston, DE

Thanks for the input.  This has been a frustrating journey to say the least.  Most people I've talked to have had the band removed and by-pass done at the same time.  My surgeon said that she wants me to heal everything and go back to normal before actually doing the by-pass in the summer.  I'm ready now, but my insurance is making me wait.

Take care!

MsBatt
on 12/9/15 1:10 pm

Any particular reason you chose the RNy over the Sleeve or the DS?

TrelawneyDawn
on 12/10/15 6:41 am - Houston, DE

Hi:

I did consider the sleeve at first, but my doctor and my research states that there is low success on another restriction procedure if the lap-band didn't work.  Also, my surgeon suspects esophageal erosion because of the problems I've had with the lap-band.

MsBatt
on 12/10/15 6:46 pm

Yep, the Band is notorious for causing esophageal damage. However, I know a LOT of folks who've revised their failed Band to a Sleeve with marvelous success. Most of them say that the Sleeve did for them what they were told the Band would do, but didn't.

Most Active
Recent Topics