Revision surgery 1/1

Kris G.
on 1/3/16 9:35 pm

I am having revision from band to RNY. I was initially successful with an 80lb weight loss at my lowest and then a steady gain over the last 3 years with constant heartburn for the last probably 18 months to 2 years. I waited way too long to go back and see my Dr because I felt like such a failure, long story short he took the fluid out of my band and said I need to have the band out and do RNY. My Dr only requires a liquid diet 24 hours before and of course with the holidays I haven't worried about it. But tomorrow I am going to put myself on my own plan.

I am ready for surgery my biggest question right now is how much pain to expect after surgery and for how long?

I have read so much about the diet and feel I am prepared for the change and also since having gone through it with the band I hope that will help me in the coming weeks.

so if anyone can tell me the surgery details like how long your procedure was and how much pain you were in. I know everyone's experience is different and I will ask my Dr too but right now I find that to be the most worrisome issue,

Thank you!

Kevans66
on 1/6/16 8:08 pm

The worst part of the pain is the gas pain. I know what you mean, I had my RNY in 2008 and went from 385 down to 199. I did very well and kept it off but over the past year I have ballooned back up to 352 and honestly still doesn't eat much and I cannot tolerate sugars or carbs. I still have the feeling as I just had the surgery but the weight came back. I recently started a program which is very easy and I have dropped 20 lbs within 2 weeks. I am hoping this is going to be the right thing because my surgeon seems to have something against revisions or other routes.

RNY on 12/22/14

You may want to check more with your surgeon, but minor revisions to RNY are not all that successful. 

Revisions from Lapband to RNY are almost expected and people see good results.  I had RNY only, an it seemed that most surgeons now consider a lapband more of a temporary thing and expect to do a 'real' WLS at 5 years, give or take.

I have looked into revisions for a failed RNY, and you should be look and see what you find. This is what I have found, but I have not talked to my doctor.  (I have not regained, but I know there is no guarantee.) 

If there is something wrong, they can repair it - some people had a canal created between their stoma and the blind stomach that was defeating the RNY - that can be repaired. 

Short of a needed repair, I have found 2 revision techniques for a failed RNY - first, minor adjustments to the outlet of the stoma that, from the research I have seen, does not deliver astounding results.  The second is a major revision to a DS - but most places say this is a complicated operation and usually done open (not laparoscopic) so it is a riskier operation.   I understand it is easier to revise a sleeve or a mini-gastric bypass to a DS, but that will not help you or me. 

Your surgeon may have you on the best course.  A person I know gained 170 pounds back after RNY, woke up one day and decided to take it off.  She did and 3 years later it is still off - she is my hero.

I hope your current course continues to be successful!!

PS - Let me know if you have found other options.  RIght now, I am doing evverything I can to keep if off.

Sharon

Hilarious
on 1/7/16 5:08 am - Coram, NY

Hi. I had my lapband removed and revised to gastric bypass on 10/29/15. The surgery was supposed to take 1 1/2 hours but wound up taking 3 hours because my port was anchored down tight with mesh. My surgeon said she had to chisel it out of me! Despite that I was out of the hospital by 4pm the next day. I was definitely sore but didn't need to take pain meds once I got home because it really wasn't bad. I walked around my house for a few days and then did short walks outside for 15-20 minutes. I was able to go out and run errands 4 days after surgery and felt good. I returned to work by working from home after a week and then back in the office the following week (I have a desk job). I was a little more tired than usual but my job was very good to me and I left early a few days those first two weeks back in the office.

I really started feeling good by weeks 3-4 and was able to return to exercise (my favorite, hot yoga) at 5 weeks post-op. It could have been at week 4 but the incision where they removed the port had a fluid pocket collect there which leaked for a few weeks and had to get drained twice by the surgeon. She said it's very common as there's a space in my stomach where the port was and the body was trying to fill the space.

The worst part of the surgery for me was not being able to sleep because I sleep on my side and I couldn't for a week+. I found an old post of mine after the lapband surgery in 2007 and I complained about the same thing then.

Good luck to you!

Kris G.
on 1/9/16 9:30 am

Thank you so much for the info it helps to know what others have experienced!!

Most Active
Recent Topics