Whatever happened to the ROSE procedure??

cabin111
on 2/24/16 9:33 pm

Years ago it looked to be a good option for RNY revision...Then after a few months (years) they saw that there was quite a bit of regain from the patients, so it became less popular.  Has it gone by the wayside?  Is it still around?  Have other stitch procedures worked better?  I'm 9+ years post op...Am 5' 11'' and about 220#.  Not looking for revision...Just trying to find out what the latest data is showing...(This is why you still need to go to the local support group meetings...Keep up to date).  Brian

Ladytazz
on 2/25/16 1:30 am

The only procedure I've heard good things about is the Apollo Overstitch and I don't think it's been around long enough to have any long term data.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lrover97
on 8/9/17 5:30 pm

What type of revision procedure did you get in 2010? It seemed to work very well for you.

Ladytazz
on 8/9/17 5:38 pm

My revision was complex and not due to regain. I originally had a DS done by a surgeon not really good at doing the DS. I had a lot of side effects.

My revision was to lengthen my common channel from 100 cc to 200 cc to reduce my malabsorption. I also had a blind limb that caused CIBO (chronic intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and constant diarrhea and that was corrected. My surgeon also revised the sleeve that I had and was made too large. It only removed about 50% of my stomach and before long I had no restriction at all. He gave me a RNY pouch and a lot of restriction. I think that is the key to my success because I can't eat much at all. I probably would have done better if my sleeve was smaller but I guess he decided that re-sleeving was too dangerous due to the risk of leaks so my entire stomach, apart from the pouch, was removed. Pretty drastic and not recommended since it is nonreversible. Other than that I am happy with my revision and it has served me well in giving me a tool that I can use.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lrover97
on 8/9/17 6:25 pm

It sounds like you really needed that revision. My goodness. You really were having some serious problems. I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay for you now.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 2/25/16 12:04 pm

I still see people mention it (actually both rose, and stomaphyx), but have yet to see any positive data about it, so wonder how it endures, or even gets covered by medical.

The only good results I've seen were misleading, as there was a little weight loss with the initial liquid diet, but after the procedure when they go back to chewable food, there is no more loss. 

Hislady
on 2/26/16 9:33 pm - Vancouver, WA

From what I've read the ROSE and stomaphyx weren't that successful maybe 20-30 lbs. but usually easily regained. I have also heard good things about the Apollo overstitch but still needs more research to see final results.

Harlee J.
on 2/29/16 8:06 am - Charlotte, NC

I have heard the exact same thing from 3 NC Bariatric surgeons. Two of them no longer do ROSE, one does, but selectively. MY personal opinion is that IF you don't 'fix' the reasons that you eat mindlessly or choose poor foods, NO surgery or amount of revisions will keep the weight off...it just won't. I also heard that insurance companies are not wanting to OK payment for the ROSE or Stomaphx procedures and it is a hassle to get them to do.

My own personal research on the Appollo is not one that I'd do. It has too many 'failures' and bad outcomes for me to chance. I have been through ENOUGH with my RNY done in 1997. I did go to therapy and that did better for me than any diet, supplement, surgery. I still think my last surgeon reversed the RNY but didn't tell me...he talked about doing that and I told him NO WAY. but Ive been able to eat ANYTHING since that day without any dumping, hypoglycemia and bile reflux. He no longer does ROSE or Stomaphx, either.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

The most powerful force I have, is what I say to myself and believe.

Most Active