Recovery time ????????????

tracy O.
on 9/4/16 7:22 am - shelby

I have a sedentary job and was wondering if I could return to work in a week ? I do work 12hr shifts 2  1/2 days on- 2 days off then 2 1/2 on. Hoping to have revision from VBG to RNY.

VBG 2004 SW: 360   CW:260   GOAL WEIGHT: 150 - LOOKING INTO RNY

" LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS.....IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN "

Danimadd73
on 9/4/16 10:43 am

Hi Tracy O, 

I am finishing up pre op requirements for revision of band to RNY. I am curious as well for recovery time. I have read that where they remove the port is the worst part/pain. I also have an office job, but is demanding mentally (morning to evening meetings) ... so I was planning on taking 2 weeks to be safe. Best of luck! 

JaxLiving
on 9/4/16 12:47 pm - Spanish Fort, AL
RNY on 05/27/16

I had my surgery on a Friday and returned to work on Monday, ten days later. The only issue I had was total exhaustion at the end of the day. Since you work such long hours, you might want to take that into consideration. My doctor told me to make sure to get up from my desk and walk around every 30 minutes, and to keep water at my desk at all times. You don't want to risk blood clots or dehydration.

SW:223, CW: 134.2; GW: 125, RNY: 5/27/16

tracy O.
on 9/4/16 12:57 pm - shelby

I'm new on the job and don't have a lot of time to take off but I can walk around and keep my water with me. there is one more thing. I commute to work an hour each way that is what worries me the most

" LIFE ISN'T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS.....IT'S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN "

Hilarious
on 9/4/16 3:37 pm - Coram, NY

I took off one week, worked from home one week, and was then back in the office full time with a 30-45 minute commute time each way. I was a little tired the first week or two back but felt "normal" after then.

I wish you successful surgery and recovery.

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/5/16 6:14 am

I had a virgin WLS and I took 3 weeks of. I was able to drive after a week...but I was very tired. Even when I returned to work - I often needed a 30 min nap (in my car during a lunch break) to keep going.  But we were not allowed coffe for the first 8-10 months. 

The long drive - make sure you have a pillow to put between the belly and the seatbelt. I use mine for at least a month. In case you need to stop rapidly - you really don't need that "impact" on your abdominal part. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tracy O.
on 9/5/16 6:26 am - shelby

Thanks for the advise everyone  is being a big help

Ladytazz
on 9/6/16 12:22 am

Are you having an open surgery?  My revision was open and I had a rough recovery.  I started out very sick to begin with, which was the main reason I had the revision, but having an open surgery made things even harder.

If you aren't having an open surgery then it's possible you could be able to work in a week.  It's hard to say before hand how you are going to feel after surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics