Revision to RNY from sleeve

Wendi74
on 6/17/17 10:48 am
VSG on 10/14/15

I have an appointment to meet with my dr this week. I am going to ask about revision. Surgery due to GERD. How long is the process generally? What was the recovery? How long after the original sleeve surgery was the revision?

bruindiva92
on 6/17/17 3:03 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Good Afternoon Wendi,

I had a revision VSG to RNY on 3/29 due to bile reflux. My process & insurance turnaround was pretty quick; I went to see WLS surgeon in Nov 2016; had revision Mar 2017--I could have opted for surgery in Jan 2017 but I needed to prepare mentally for another major surgery.

Surgeon ordered an upper GI --didn't find esophagitis but a hiatal hernia. My bile reflux was so severe, I could not sleep lying down for 6 months and woke with bile in my mouth every morning. The bile reflux reared itself about 18 months after my VSG surgery. I had the RNY 2 yrs after the VSG.

I am please to say the RNY has eliminated the bile reflux. The hiatal hernia was repaired during the surgery. I am doing great and have no regrets.

Wendi74
on 6/17/17 3:41 pm
VSG on 10/14/15

I have recently developed worsening reflux. I already had Barrett's Esophogus so I really want the reflux to get better. I had VSG 20 months ago. Ty for the info. Was the recovery easier or harder?

bruindiva92
on 6/17/17 4:13 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Wendi,

For me, I needed a little more time to recover. Pain was just a bit worse--took me an extra week to feel better. Now, 10 weeks out I am feeling better.

I did take 5 weeks off from work because I did not want to return to work eating soft food, feeling tired or looking ill.

I am happy I had the revision and can sleep lying down now.

Wendi74
on 6/17/17 4:35 pm
VSG on 10/14/15

Yeah I do not want to be working on liquid or puréed food. I also have developed fall stones since surgery and need to have my gall bladder removed. I am hoping I can get both done at once.

bruindiva92
on 6/17/17 4:48 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Let us know how your appointment goes. I hope you feel better soon.

stacyrg
on 6/19/17 9:54 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I developed severe GERD about 8 months after my VSG. I resisted revision, for many reasons, but once I developed lesions on my esophagus and my surgeon told me that if I was his sister, I'd already would have converted to RNY, I knew it was time. My surgery was approved the day after the request was submitted. there was no waiting period and I didn't have to do a pre-op diet. My VSG was on 5/12/14 and my revision to RNY was on 7/1/17. My recovery was easier than with my sleeve, but I'm assuming that's because i was at goal and was very fit and healthy going into surgery. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Most Active
Recent Topics