VGS switch to Bypass due to GERD?

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/18 11:23 am

How common is it for a VGS to be revised to a Bypass due to GERD? I've done a mountain of research over the past 10 years on VGS..... and this potential complication is my current biggest concern.

Thanks!

Krisanc19
on 3/25/18 2:26 pm - Santa Maria, CA
Krisanc19
on 3/25/18 2:32 pm - Santa Maria, CA

I needed my sleeve converted to a bypass. Truth be told, I wish I had never done the sleeve and gone with the bypass, as the bypass would have been a better fit for me. Prior to the sleeve, I never had problems with acid reflux/GERD. By the time I had my revision, I was choking on fluid every night and waking up gasping for air. I took prescribed medications twice a day and it barely touched my nighttime problems. Everyone is different and you may not have a problem with reflux. It's hard to say.

stacyrg
on 3/26/18 2:57 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had the same issue as the poster above. I didn't have a problem with GERD/Reflux prior to VSG, but it started about 8 months post surgery. By the time of my revision, I was choking on stomach acid, had a DeMeester score of 78.23 which translates to acid about 409% higher than normal. Mine was not controlled by medication even though I was on PPI x2 daily as well as Zantac. Knowing what I know now, if I had GERD prior to surgery I would never have gone with the sleeve.

Donna H.
on 3/27/18 4:47 am - Douglasville, GA

Just had revision due to SEVERE GERD but would still do it all again!

drea29
on 4/1/18 3:26 am

I will be 6 years post op VSG in June. The severe GERD started about 4 months ago. Before that I took 1 PPI in the morning and all was well. I don't know what changed. I had an endoscopy and my gastro told me to go see my surgeon. Right now I am taking 80 mg on Protonix in the morning. I then have to take Pepcid in the afternoon and before bed. I awoke at 4 am with a belly full of acid and burning and coughing. I am scheduled to see my surgeon on Thursday.

I am don't know what he will do, but I am thinking he will do a revision. Probably a minor one with 150 channel. Not sure what I am talking about, but a friend has the same surgeon and this is what happened to her. She is also 6 years post op.

My surgeon stopped doing bypass a few years ago, but will do it for this reason.

I am not sure what to expect. When I know more I will post.

CapeSong
on 11/18/18 3:42 pm - CT
VSG on 08/19/13

Me too!

VSG August 19, 2013. Starting Weight 222, Surgery Weight 211, Current Weight 145, Goal Weight 125. Lost 77.2; Breast lift 6/1/15; Tummy Tuck 8/15/15; Developed GERD; Gained back 35

Revision - RNY November 6, 2018 SW 184.9, Goal Weight 125; M1-25lbs

racemomss
on 4/5/18 8:21 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I had sleeve 8/29/2012. I had a revision to bypass on 8/24/17. Had hyatial hernia, severe gerd (coughing and throwing up every night for almost 5 years), major ulcer, and gallbladder removed. It was pure hell I won't lie. But now I am glad I had the revision. If I had known this would have happened I would have had bypass in the beginning. I lost 100 pounds with first surgery and gained back 70 pounds over the years with the gerd issues. I am now down 30 pounds and hoping to lose the remaining 40. I still struggle on a day or two with gerd but nothing like i did before. I used to be on 80 mg a day rx omeprazole. I now take 20 mg over the counter about once or twice a month. :)

vsg2rny
on 4/6/18 7:06 am, edited 4/6/18 12:07 am
Revision on 02/26/18

I had a revision from VSG to RNY because of severe GERD. My surgery was done on 2/26/18. I did have some complications. It was a whole domino effect. I was in severe pain causing my blood pressure to rise. The rise in blood pressure caused me not to clot properly so I had some staple line bleeding. My surgeon went back in 2 days later and the bleeding already had stopped. I did have to get a transfusion after the second surgery. I stayed in the hospital for a total of 5 days. However as of today (4/6/18) my GERD has been resolved, and you would never know I had those stumbling blocks in the beginning.

I didn't share to scare you, but I just wanted you to know my experience. It was a big decision but I don't regret it at all.

Gonnabskinni2018
on 11/15/18 9:55 am

How is it going now?

Most Active
Recent Topics