bypass after sleeve..recovery time

unit35
on 6/10/18 10:29 am - CT

I am scheduled for RNY in July.. I had sleeve 6 years ago..lost about 80 but life got in way and regained.. I also got severe GERD, difficulty swallowing and a hiatal hernia hence the revision. I was curious on recovery times

ljbarbara
on 6/10/18 4:52 pm

I found my recovery time to be a bit easier, therefore it was faster for me. I think it was easier because I had already had the sleeve, which is a major surgery, so I knew more what to expect after the revision. Of course, the revision is a major surgery also, so the doctors give the same recommendations and instructions as they would give to an original bypass surgery. Again, because you know more what to expect it really does make it easier.

My GERD went completely away. It was like magic. Another revision poster has had some GERD issues post surgery, but I don't believe they have been anywhere near as severe as pre revision.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

unit35
on 6/11/18 7:07 am - CT

Thank you

pparker1109
on 6/25/18 4:59 pm

Did you lose more weight after the revision?

ljbarbara
on 6/25/18 9:05 pm

I had the surgery to fix the GERD and did not try to lose any more weight (I was at goal).

I have heard other posters say they did lose more weight but it was slower coming off.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

momyshaver
on 7/8/18 4:26 am
VSG on 06/28/17
On June 26, 2018 at 4:05 AM Pacific Time, ljbarbara wrote:

I had the surgery to fix the GERD and did not try to lose any more weight (I was at goal).

I have heard other posters say they did lose more weight but it was slower coming off.

Do you have any tips on maintaining or even gaining healthy weight after medically necessary VSG to RNY revison?

Izzy612
on 6/11/18 5:20 am

I think my recovery was easier with the revision than my sleeve. I felt great after 3 weeks and returned back to work (returned with restrictions as I have a physically demanding job).

with my sleeve I was walking hunchback for about 2 weeks and just felt tired all the time

unit35
on 6/11/18 7:08 am - CT

Thank you

stacyrg
on 6/11/18 2:40 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY almost 2 years ago (July 1). I was forced to revise to treat my GERD that developed as a result of my sleeve. My post revision recovery was easier than my VSG. I was up and walking the morning after my surgery and they had to come find me when my doctor came to check on me. My surgeon also had me drink Impact shakes (the actual name). They were disgusting (think sardines and melted vanilla ice cream) but I believe they truly worked. I was fully recovered and ran a 10k with my surgeon exactly 3 months post revision.

I may be the poster that ljbarbara referred to. My GERD did not resolve 100% and I'm still on medication, but it's between 80-90% better.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

unit35
on 6/11/18 3:18 pm - CT

How long were you out of work ?

Most Active
Recent Topics