band to sleeve

pamisue
on 7/16/18 10:59 am

I had to have a band removed 2 years ago due to complications. I have gained 50 pounds and just cant get it down. I am investigating the sleeve.. My surgeon offered this option when my band was removed buy I declined at the time. Looking back I wish I had done it. Now I have initial consultation with the surgeon on Aug 6. My surgeon has moved and I will see a new doctor.

Has anyone else have the same issue? Any advise for my consultation? and this process... any advise, support appreciated.

sf100
on 7/20/18 6:26 pm

Pamisue,

I am in the same boat. I still have my band (installed in 2007), but it is causing problems (possible slip) and I have experienced significant regain.

I've had a consult with a doctor specialized in the sleeve and saw a DS doctor just this afternoon. Earlier this week, I attended the sleeve seminar/support group.

The meetings with the doctors have been great for learning more about technical issues like surgery risk and recovery, vitamin supplementation, potential long-term problems, and non-negotiable lifestyle changes each procedure requires.

The sleeve patient group is a supportive bunch. I was disappointed, though. Discussions centered on regain and dieting. It could have been my lap band group from ten years ago. That has driven me to look into DS as an alternative.

I look forward to learning more at the DS support group next month.

I almost made a decision before I was ready. The sleeve doctor got everything moving in a hurry after my consult. Before I left his office, I had an initial meeting with his dietician and was scheduled for more meetings with his her and his PA. Within a couple days, I was scheduled for band removal. I will be cancelling the band removal because I need more time to consider my options.

I guess my only advice is to resist being rushed.

At this stage, I feel frustrated because I hate to be undecided about anything. I just feel like I can't come to a conclusion before I've learned more. I'll probably post here to see how people feel about their sleeve and DS revisions.

I would love to know how your consult goes and if you any advice for others like me who are working on revisions.

pineview01
on 7/31/18 3:01 pm - Davison, MI

I am five years out from band to sleeve. At four years out I was still normal. I am 15 pounds over this year and the problem is Alcohol. I am dealing with my husband and his Alzheimer.

My sister has had a DS for many years. It was the right choice for her and the sleeve is for me. Neither will help with my current issue. You have to know you and your personality to figure out what is right for you.

Just a fyi mine wouldn't do the 2nd surgery until 6mo-1yr after band removal as they believe you do better with a 2nd and final surgery (they won't do a 3rd). I had already researched and had come to the same conclusion. I also had to see a therapist before they would do the second and I continued to see her afterwards. It really made a difference.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

sf100
on 7/31/18 4:20 pm

Thanks for posting.

I am so sorry to hear of your husband's Alzheimers. The stress has to be overwhelming.

Booze is evil stuff for me -- the pounds pile on and hangovers are even more horrible after you hit 50. I probably got into more serious trouble with it than you have. I finally gave it up (I hope) about ten years ago. I needed a therapist's help to do it, and it wasn't my first try. So far, so good.

I have scheduled a band removal on August 21. Like your doctor, mine says he needs at least three months between band removal and sleeve surgery. That will give me plenty of time to think about DS vs. sleeve and to experience life without the band.

I am glad to hear that your post-op surgery therapy helped. That's something I'll keep in mind.

pineview01
on 7/31/18 4:52 pm - Davison, MI

Yeah I know about over 50 and I need to get back to therapy. I also know how fast the pounds add on after 50 too. Like I told a person today that just got a sleeve after band, I count how fast I was gaining pre-surgery and at the rate I was going I know I would be at least 150-200 pounds heavier than now.

Good Luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

BobbieDoll
on 8/5/18 10:03 am - CO

My doctor wanted me to get the band removed asap after discovering it had slipped even though I wasn't having any problems. There is a healing time period of at least 3 months before he would do a revision. My doctor will only do a VSG for me because I don't have a high BMI like I did originally when I started this venture. He won't do lapbands anymore. Funny thing is my insurance will pay for a new lapband but not a sleeve.

For your health and safety, get the band removed. You will have time to make your decision while you are healing.

Most Active
Recent Topics