Band to Bypass or Sleeve

whithark
on 10/3/18 10:44 am - Bristol, RI

I met my surgeon this week and gearing up for a revision. I have the band, it's been pretty much useless since I had my twins 7 years ago. I still get occasional stuck episodes, sliming, etc., even though it's empty.

I will have an upper GI done next week to see if it has caused esophageal damage. If it hasn't, sleeve is an option. If it has, he will recommend RNY.

I've always thought I would definitely want the sleeve, but I'm half expecting him to find damage and tell me RNY is my only option. RNY just makes me nervous with potential complications. Anyone regret going from band to RNY? Or regret band to sleeve?

Jaime 

lovelylatta
on 10/3/18 5:28 pm

I'm getting my band out after getting it placed in 2006. I get it out October 16th. Then in January I am being converted to the sleeve. I too have received no fills in the last few years but sometimes gets stuc****asionally. The weird thing out of all of it when they did my x-rays and fluoroscopy, which is different from a barium swallow, it shows that my band is still in a great position but I'm suffer from reflux which has qualified me for the removal.

ladygodiva1228
on 10/4/18 4:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

If you currently have reflux I would not get the sleeve. To many times folks are having to revise again to the bypass due to GERD/reflux. I had no fill in my band for a few years, but when I was revised my surgeon said scar tissue had encased my band. That was causing my band to tighten on its own. Making it hard to eat dense proteins without it getting stuck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

ladygodiva1228
on 10/4/18 4:47 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I personally would not go with the sleeve after having the band. The sleeve is a great surgery if it is a first time WLS, but when it comes to going from band to sleeve I have seen numerous times folks had to revise to the bypass due to excessive acid causing GERD/reflux etc. You do not want to stay on a PPI for the rest of your life.

I myself wanted to get the sleeve when I was going for my band removal, but after years of dealing with the heartburn/reflux from the band I ended up not being a good candidate after going to my surgeons seminar. Went with the bypass and woke up heartburn free. Also, when I was having my band removed and revising to the bypass my surgeon found damage done to the top of my stomach due to the band.

For me the band to bypass has been great.

I noticed you are in RI. Can I ask who your surgeon is? I had my revision done in RI and my surgeon was Dr. Pohl.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

whithark
on 10/6/18 10:10 am - Bristol, RI

Funny because when I originally started considering a revision a couple years ago, I thought no way would I do bypass. It has always scared me. But the more time goes on, and the more I read and research, the more I'm wondering if I should just go bypass. I do not have any reflux issues now, but I do have a feeling I may have damage to my esophagus and/or stomach. Like you, I occasionally get stuck on dense foods, and my band is empty. I have an upper GI Wednesday and I'm so anxious to see what it shows!

I am going to Dr. Colacchio out of Southcoast Medical. I have heard great things about Dr. Pohl as well! Also, I grew up not too far from Putnam. I was just there a couple weeks ago at the Black Dog. :)

Jaime 

Most Active
Recent Topics