Rose Procedure or other Endoscopic Revision

NJRobyn1
on 12/10/18 7:59 am

Hi Folks

I had RnY surgery in 2002. It worked great and I lost 135lbs getting to within 18 lbs of my goal weight. It took about a year. In the interim I got pregnant and had my first son 14 months post surgery. Fast forward-2nd child born 19 months later. I regained 80 pounds of my weight loss by 2006. Combination of not following proper eating habits and I believe a pouch that was not made small enough or stretched.

I'm ready to try a second time and curious about endoscopic revision. I'm honestly scared of another regular surgery.

Has anyone had the endoscopic procedure? Did it help? Post procedure issues? Would you do it again?

Also-if anyone had a surgeon in NJ they recommend, I'd love to hear it. My surgeon isn't in NJ any more.

thanks!

dlbogus50
on 12/19/18 6:14 pm

Hi, I had RNY 2003 at 357 lbs, lost to 145 for about 10 years, gained back to 246 over past 4-5 years. Had Overstitch procedure March this year, lost 10 lbs and have gained back plus some. I had the procedure for same reasons of not wanting to go thru big surgery again, insurance would not cover that procedure so paid cash total approx $6500. I read the reviews that it was not effective but thought I would have no problem. Wish I would not have wasted the money. Thought I would share, not trying to discourage you but just be informed, I never felt any restriction from the first day of having it done. I was careful and stuck to diet also.

tltompkins
on 12/25/18 6:48 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 12/19/06 with

Sorry to hear that. I met a lady that had the endoscopic revision and she has been very successful with it. I'm going to the same surgeon as she.

Serving HIM with you!

"I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed...The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor "
So When you are DOWN to nothing....
God is UP to something!

"Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible
Lilac8Star
on 1/27/19 6:32 pm

I agree, I just had it done after weight gain from gastric bypass (12 years). I had I done with John Hopkins. I literally felt no different, I think its another money grab for surgeons, It's sad but it seems like there just aren't many good options for revisions.

xmasbaby
on 2/2/19 2:52 pm

hello all, had my surgery 19 years ago. Gained 40 pounds, really wanting a revision, mostly due to gerds, really cant eat anything without throwing up. I lost 225 pounds, current weight 240. After 19 years, need to do something, also have another hernia. Will see, wish me luck

tltompkins
on 12/25/18 6:45 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 12/19/06 with

Hi,

My story is similar to yours. While I haven't had the endoscopic revision yet, I am scheduled to have it January 7, 2018. I'll come back and let you know how it went and my progress if you like. I'm having it done in DC at John Hopkins Hospital.

Serving HIM with you!

"I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed...The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor "
So When you are DOWN to nothing....
God is UP to something!

"Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible
Mom2JBboys
on 1/5/19 8:21 pm - Cohoes, NY

Hello,

I had RNY 7/2010 original weight 250, lost 80 pounds after RNY had of about 30 pounds also was having dumping, hypoglycemic episodes and was on monthly iron infusions. 7/16 had overstitch to reduce stoma size and keep food in pouch longer- dumping, hypoglycemia ended and did not need an iron infusion anymore also lost the 30 pounds I had regained and things were good...until the past 6 months when all these symptoms began to return. Dumping, dropping blood sugars and had to have an iron infusion also regained nearly 10 pounds. Went on December for an EGD and my stoma is enlarged again (not as much as prior to overstitch but too big) I am scheduled for overstitch again on 1/24/19. Not looking forward to the liquid diet but otherwise hopeful it worked great for me for 2 years and hopeful this time it will last longer this time - "Third time charm?!"

msromagnola
on 1/28/19 10:25 am

Mom2JBboys - can you share the experience with me, including the diet prior to and after?

MSROMAGNOLA
Mom2JBboys
on 1/28/19 1:51 pm - Cohoes, NY

msromagnola, I had the procedure this past Thursday, mild sore throat is really the only physical discomfort related to the procedure. Diet prior to the overstitch was not changed, I had to stop eating and drinking midnight the night before (no prep). The post diet is rough, I will not lie- day one is nothing by mouth, day 2 is clear liquids only at a goal rate of 2oz per hour. Day 3-47! Liquid diet consisting of non caloric drinks and protein shakes with goal of 60-70 gm of protein daily. Drinking no more than 8oz per hour. After day 47 it progresses to a purée diet for 2 weeks then slowly progress to normal diet of course going back to all the basics of post RNY diet. I am trying to stay focused on swing it as a jump start and allowing the stitches to heal and form the scar tissue necessary to keep everything tightened up. There is no physical hunger but the head hunger is the battle. Hope this is helpful.

msromagnola
on 1/28/19 5:54 pm
  • Am I reading correctly? A liquid diet for 47 days?!

MSROMAGNOLA
Most Active
Recent Topics