Revision from VSG to RNY and Hiatal hernia repair (HAIR LOSS TOPIC)

chicana1
on 5/25/19 8:44 am, edited 5/25/19 8:46 am
VSG on 11/25/13

Hello everyone.

In 2013 I had VSG surgery and lost 120 lbs. The past 3 years I've gained back 50lbs. I am guilty of falling back to my old eating habits and not exercising the way I should. Lately I've been experiencing horrible GERD and saw my Bariatric surgeon. He suggested revision to RNY along with the Hiatal hernia repair.

Question: I know it should be the least of my worries but...

For those that had revision surgery did you experienced hair loss again?

rocky513
on 5/26/19 5:22 am - WI

Google "TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM". The hair loss is from the shock of going through surgery and from the use of anesthesia. You can suffer hair loss from any surgery, not just WLS.

You will experience nutritional deficiencies after a revision, just like you did with your original WLS and that can contribute to hair loss. Make sure you keep your protein and vitamin levels up. Being compliant with vitamins and lab work after RNY is mandatory because you will have malabsorption from the bypass.

Getting health and getting GERD under control would be my main concern. I had uncontrollable GERD for 25 years and ended up with Barrett's Esophagus and have to be checked for cancer every year. I was revised to RNY and woke up from surgery GERD free.

Hair grows back.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

chicana1
on 5/28/19 6:30 am
VSG on 11/25/13

Thank you for answering my question.

White Dove
on 5/26/19 5:32 am, edited 5/25/19 10:33 pm - Warren, OH

Every hair eventually goes into a resting state and falls out and then grows back. During surgery a large number of hairs can go into their resting state and cause temporary hair loss. No one can predict how your body will react to the stress of anesthesia and surgery. If you have fallout, it will grow back again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

chicana1
on 5/28/19 6:30 am
VSG on 11/25/13

Thank you for answering my question.

stacyrg
on 5/28/19 3:56 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

yes.

cderksen
on 5/29/19 9:17 pm
Revision on 06/11/19

EI had long black hair most of my life until my surgery at 41 years old. My thick braid thinned from 3" to 1" when I cut my hair short.

You know estrogen/testosterone is stored within fat cell. There are some common traits that I have learned seeing many folks go through WLS that is hormone shifts happen and are strong. My hair never came back as full as my older sister has and she is 10 yrs older. But mine is curly? Crazy? I am part American Indian and I am the only one of my siblings with curls. I have grown to love it!

Think of your health and get those vitamins ABCDE, iron, zinc and protein.

Ttwerie
on 6/4/19 5:35 pm

Hi

I see you had a revision done. I had the Sleeve done in 2013 I lost 90 pounds now almost gained it all back. I'm going back to my surgeon to see if I have any options. I feel as if my stomach stretched out. I'm also suffering from GERD. Would you recommend a revision? I have Aetna PPO II plan do you know the process they put you through for a revision approval?

thank you

caleidosp
on 3/9/23 1:00 pm

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss journey so far; that's a huge accomplishment.

MurrayYvonne
on 3/14/23 11:46 am

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss journey so far; that's a huge accomplishment.
As for your question about hair loss after revision surgery, you may experience some shedding again. However, it's important to remember that everyone's experience is different, and it's difficult to predict exactly how your body will react.
If you experience hair loss, options are available to help restore your hair. Hair transplant clinic is a great provider that specializes in hair restoration and can work with you to create a personalized treatment plan that fits your needs and goals.

Most Active
Recent Topics