Revision - From Gastric Bypass

Momoffive05
on 10/14/19 11:13 pm
Revision on 10/16/19

Hello ð?'??

New member here and I'm so happy to have come across this website. I'll apologize in advance for not knowing the correct abbreviations.

My story

I had Gastric Bypass in 2008, before surgery I weighed in at 340ish, I lost a total of 100lbs, leaving me at 240 and I was pretty bummed out about it. Got pregnant fairly quick, I'd say about 10 months out of surgery and to my surprise I was pregnant with twins! Oh boy did I eat... went up to only 255lbs that I did manage to lose those 15 pounds... but the damage was done... I began to eat and over indulge and went up to 270lbs... took matters into my own hands and managed to go down to 230... I have a 2 yr old now and well I've been up and down like a yo-yo... currently weighing in at 250. I went to see the doctor for a whole different reason and it required for me to get a Colonoscopy and Endoscopy.... the Doctor said everything was fine, but that he noticed my pouch was way stretched... he explained the revision and told me if I was interested he would help me... well I called him back and I'm getting my revision on 10/16... wish I would have found this site sooner lol... I'm just scared that I won't lose much weight, I just turned 41 and my energy level is soooooo low ugh... and with a toddler ?, you guys can imagine. I just want to regain my life back!

How much did you guys lose after your revision?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/15/19 9:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Generally speaking, revision patients lose less weight than original surgeries, and the weight also comes off slowly. If you go back to basics and follow good habits, it will help a lot.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Momoffive05
on 10/15/19 9:24 pm
Revision on 10/16/19

Thank you!

missdebra
on 11/6/19 9:04 pm - NV

Very little info gets out about Sleeve Gastrectomy side effects like bad GERD and need to convert to RNY. Also look up Wernickes syndrome (Thiamine, B1, deficiency and brain function problems...sometimes not treatable even with vitamin supplements...possible irreversible brain damage.) and Sleeve Gastrectomy. I hope you are doing well now. I had to have my Gastric Bypass reversed in 2011 after 3 years, constan****ery diarrhea (chronic dumping) and vitamin deficiency because I was not digesting food, just shooting it out my back end. When I saw a Gastroenterologist, she said I was the 3rd person she saw with my problems. After the reversal I feel better, but the diarrhea stayed. I now will take Welchol and Atropine/Diphenxoylate for the rest of my life and still struggle with explosive diarrhea. I gained all of my weight back right after the Gastric Bypass Reversal and got a Lap Band a year later. I have lost 100 lbs. with the band and am happy with it. I am not a candidate for Sleeve Gastrectomy because of the scars on my stomach and would never consider it given my past. (Also, if a person is having a 3rd type of weight loss surgery...something is very wrong.) But I do know I need some surgical weight control help or I go back to my old ways and obesity.

Momoffive05
on 11/15/19 9:37 pm
Revision on 10/16/19
Alba
on 11/25/19 6:01 pm - Renton, WA

I'm confused. How can you have GERD after a RuNY? Isn't the stomach (where acid is produced) "offline?"

Alba Tross
         "Fake it til you make it."

Alba
on 11/25/19 6:02 pm - Renton, WA

I'm confused. How can you have GERD after a RuNY? Isn't the stomach (where acid is produced) "offline?"

Alba Tross

Alba
on 11/25/19 5:55 pm - Renton, WA

I wonder why the weight loss with a revision is sliwer, less, and harder. Did anyone ever explain that to you?

Like you, I have to revise (from sleeve) due to consequences of GERD.

Alba Tross

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/25/19 7:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

There are a couple of reasons for it, according to my doctor.

One is that you may start at a lower weight at the time of the revision, and patients with lower BMI lose more slowly than people who weigh more.

Another reason is that the big metabolic changes that happen to your body after surgery (which I guess scientists don't understand 100%) have already happened, so you don't get that "honeymoon" that most folks go through after their first surgery. With VSG to RNY, at least you get the bonus of malabsorption from the second surgery.

Third, many people are already starting with a mindset of "diet fatigue" from the first time they've lost weight after surgery. It takes a lot of mental energy to be vigilant and get to your goal weight, and not everybody is able to do that again because it's so darn exhausting.

That said, it's possible to still work your tool and lose a lot of weight. I'm roughly four months out from my revision and down by 50lb. 5 to go until my initial goal, 25 if I want to get down to the lowest weight I was after VSG (and I'm not sure I do).

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Alba
on 11/26/19 10:23 am - Renton, WA

Thanks for your reply. It is helpful. And congrats on your weight loss.

Alba Tross

Most Active
Recent Topics