Have you had a revision? If so please discuss with me!

KayLavonne
on 1/9/20 2:08 pm

Hello OH Community!

I have finally made the decision to get a revision surgery, sleeve to bypass. A little bit of background... was sleeved in 2012. Now I have regained weight, I have severe GERD with esophageal spasms, I have a really bad migrated hiatal hernia, and apparently my original sleeve was about 3xs larger than what a sleeve is today. I have an intussescetion in my stomach where surgery was performed (Intussusception is a medical condition in which a part of the intestine folds into the section next to i*****pically involves the small bowel and less commonly the large bowel. Symptoms include abdominal pain, which may come and go, vomiting, abdominal bloating, and bloody stool). He also stated that this could affect my appetite (his exact words were "there is no way that you could regulate your appetite. It's like your stomach has healed on top of itself). He described my stomach to me as healing in the shape of an "S" instead of healing in the shape of a banana. My heartburn is so bad that the only relief is to vomit, which makes it worse. If I do too much physical activity, I get heartburn really bad that I can't sleep unless I am sleeping sitting up straight with a prevacid and some milk of magnesia. I really want relief! I also want to get pregnant but the first time my heartburn was so bad, and that was before I was sleeved. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I was pregnant. I also want to be able to work out without having the ailments of heartburn.

I want to know how the healing process was for others with a similar surgery. Did it take long to heal? Did you lose weight? (I ask because from what I have researched, you lose the weight very slow when it's a revision compared to being the first WLS) What were your reasons for having surgery? Did you have GERD as well? What was your beginning weight at revision? I know that I would have to re-learn all of the eating habits that I have picked back up along the way, which is why I am in treatment for this. I do understand that it is not a magic bullet that will just make me drop weight. I do understand that the weight gain is just as much physiological just as much as it is physical. However, I am ready for a better quality of life! I am currently in a program kinda like a medically supervised weight loss program. Surgery wouldn't be for a few months from now, but I am excited to take this next step! Please, I would prefer individuals who had a revision from sleeve to bypass to comment your experience.....

ljbarbara
on 1/9/20 6:26 pm

I revised from the sleeve to RNY due to severe GERD. More and more people are having GERD following sleeve surgery. Did you have GERD problems before you had your sleeve surgery? I didn't, it was all strictly sleeve related.

The healing process is going to be different from person to person. For me, it was easier because I knew what to expect. I was very tired though. Some people have breezed through recovery, others have had a hard time.

I did not have any weight to lose, but from what I've read, it does come off slower. Get back in to the good habits, protein first and low carb. Drink lots and lots of water! Another excellent tool is the "what's on your menu today " thread on the RNY board.

I am coming up on my 11 year anniversary from my sleeve and 4 years out from my revision to RNY. In November of 2018 I developed a jejunal intususseption. Ow, ow, ow! As you said, it comes and goes but I'm getting to the point of thinking about repair. Time will tell!

Having the revision to RNY is the best thing I've ever done. It's been totally life changing...no more GERD! One or two here on the board have still had some GERD post revision to RNY. Hopefully one of them will be able to give some advice.

Best wishes to you and keep coming back!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

KayLavonne
on 1/13/20 9:57 am

I did have heartburn, but before the sleeve, I was not diagnosed with having GERD. I remember being sleeved, and I took off a month. However, I felt like I could have went right back to work! I did not have a lot of pain. However, since this is a different surgery completely, I am hoping to heal similarly. Thanks for your input and advice! It is much appreciated.

Up2Me3
on 1/18/20 1:37 pm

Is your revision to RNY the DS? I'm a little confused and need to educate myself a little better. I had a Loop in 2014 and want a full DS which I wish I'd done from the beginning...what is a RNY...is that the gastric bypass.

Tahmendoza
on 1/12/20 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi. I was actually converted from VSG to RNY within 2 months of each other. I had way too many complications from VSG. Gastric volvolus. Twisting of stomach, which caused severe GERD... It was awful. I was terrified of RNY. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. The pain was not as bad for me.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/14/20 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I converted from VSG to RNY this summer due to severe GERD. My sleeve had also stretched quite a bit (apparently I have a connective tissue disorder that caused this) so I had regained some weight.

I was out of work for two and a half weeks to heal. I'm a slow healer so I was pretty miserable, but by about week three or four I was feeling pretty much back to normal.

I have lost my regain at a very good pace because I followed the surgeon's guidelines, kept my calories low, and become VERY active in the gym. I weighed 229lb before the revision, and I'm 162 today, about six months later. I'm not sure how much lower I plan to go, my lowest was 150 after VSG so I suppose I'll see if I can hit that, but I'm more interested in hitting my body fat goal.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

KayLavonne
on 1/15/20 3:28 pm

Congrats and way to go!!!! Thanks for your reply. I have a higher tolerance for pain... hoping 2 weeks is long enough to take off!

sleeved524
on 1/20/20 4:45 pm
RNY on 01/30/20 with

hi Kay,

I'm approved for sleeve to RNY due to medical reasons GERD In 3 days . going to get my medical clearance tomorrow surgery set for Jan. 30 11 more days.. I'm excited and learning as much as I can too.

when are you getting revised..

I'm looking now for all the medications vitamins food or should I say liquid that I need to purchase by this weekend..

Anybody every body post what you purchased and how did you have to eat..

Thank you and good luck to you too Kay.

KayLavonne
on 1/20/20 10:59 pm

I'm getting mine in March. I would love for us to keep in contact for our progress!!! I'm looking forward to it so much! Nervous and excited.

sleeved524
on 1/21/20 6:29 am
RNY on 01/30/20 with

Hi Kay,

Im scheduled for surgery January 30, today im going for my medical clearance at my primary to be sent to my surgeon.. I live in new York but my surgeon is Dr Ewing of Advance Laproscopic in New Jersey, Paramus. About 20 minutes from where I live.

Me too I am nervous and excited at the same time.. I need to lose minimum 50 and maximum70 .. and my worst fear is that I wont.. trying to read as much as possible for people who had the revision from sleeve to rny..when I got the sleeve revised from the band I lost only 25lbs.. the band was the highest I lost 70 lbs and then the band failed me..

How much do you have to lose or want to lose. my starting weight now will be 245 im 5'9 and so I would love to get back to 170ish to 185ish..

did you get all your medical clearance vitamins ect. done yet or do you have to take the nutritional courses...??

Yes lets keep in touch.!

Most Active
Recent Topics