Low Blood Pressure with RNY

Wolvesfan1
on 1/24/20 9:34 am

I was recently converted from a gastric sleeve to an RNY due to GERD. I am below weight and at this time malnourished due to the GERD prior to surgery. Since surgery, I have little to no appetite. I'm taking in well over 60-80 ozs. of fluid a day, but struggle to get 60 grams of protein in. My blood pressure is low and my doctor is concerned because of my dizziness, weight loss and I'm also on blood thinners due to a stroke. Prior to surgery my blood pressure was always very normal. Has anyone else had problems with their blood pressure?

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/30/20 5:24 am

Some of us who had normal BP before WLS, may end up with lower BP post op. I know I do. When I follow proper for an RNY person diet, of dense proteins, some fat and some non starchy carbs - not only I find I can't eat a lot, but because of the portion sizes, and regular food, I don't get any where near 2500 mg of sodium daily. I get much less. And other minerals, electrolytes.

In summer, when it gets really hot, and I perspire a lot, I often have to supplement my sodium by taking sodium tablets, or capsules. In addition, because I follow rather low carb diet, my glycogen stores in my system is also limited.

I found out that are body can store "liquids" in our system by binding with glycogen, or electrolytes. Since my real die is low on both, I may get really low BP, and may initially manifest itself as Orthostatic Hypo-tension. ( getting dizzy when rapidly getting up from sitting or laying down position.

When i started having symptoms like that, I know i need to add, increase my electrolytes.

Some people advise others to limit salt, and drinking plain water, a lot of plain water. Unfortunately, IMO - the "weight" some of them are going to lose is water weight, teh same water that our body desperately need to work properly.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Wolvesfan1
on 1/31/20 5:49 am

My doctor ran labs and my glucose is low. I'm not taking in enough calories. I was at normal BMI when I had the revision. I'm below now. She is referring me to a dietician and hopefully, that will get me on track.

I had so many problems throwing up prior to the revision that I'm terrified of eating and messing things up. Thus, the reason for the weight loss, low glucose and dizziness.

Thanks for all the tips. I certainly need all the help I can get!

Most Active
Recent Topics