Slow loss after revision...

velouria
on 2/7/20 5:52 am

Hi all!

i got a revision 5 months ago (VSG to DS with a 26 BMI) after a 30lb regain. My post-op loss has been suuuuper slowwww.

I know what to do diet wise and I have done everything right (for the most part lol) but I was wondering since I only had 30 lbs to lose is that why it's so slow?

Ive only lost about 13-15 lbs depending on the day. I do retain lots of water so that part isn't as concerning. Before the holidays I'd gotten down to almost 20 lbs but it has crept back up and seems stuck.

I guess my question is, is this normal with being on the lower end weight loss goal wise?

thanks, y'all!

hollykim
on 2/6/20 10:37 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 7, 2020 at 1:52 PM Pacific Time, velouria wrote:

Hi all!

i got a revision 5 months ago (VSG to DS with a 26 BMI) after a 30lb regain. My post-op loss has been suuuuper slowwww.

I know what to do diet wise and I have done everything right (for the most part lol) but I was wondering since I only had 30 lbs to lose is that why it's so slow?

Ive only lost about 13-15 lbs depending on the day. I do retain lots of water so that part isn't as concerning. Before the holidays I'd gotten down to almost 20 lbs but it has crept back up and seems stuck.

I guess my question is, is this normal with being on the lower end weight loss goal wise?

thanks, y'all!

what does a days menu look like for you? Maybe we can help you tweak there...

velouria
on 2/7/20 7:57 am

I am big on "dinner salads" (with chicken, steak, bacon etc) I do snack some but nothing outrageous (handful of chips, taken OUT of the bag so I don't eat more than I should) I have the occasional no-no foods too (pasta or cake) but never more than a serving and it's maybe 1-2x a week. I feel happy with what I eat and don't feel like I over-eat or junk out/cheat very often. I was just wondering if the slow loss was normal since I only have about 15 left. My goal weight is 125 but I'd be happy with 135 and I currently weigh 145, started out at 160.

hollykim
on 2/8/20 9:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 7, 2020 at 3:57 PM Pacific Time, velouria wrote:

I am big on "dinner salads" (with chicken, steak, bacon etc) I do snack some but nothing outrageous (handful of chips, taken OUT of the bag so I don't eat more than I should) I have the occasional no-no foods too (pasta or cake) but never more than a serving and it's maybe 1-2x a week. I feel happy with what I eat and don't feel like I over-eat or junk out/cheat very often. I was just wondering if the slow loss was normal since I only have about 15 left. My goal weight is 125 but I'd be happy with 135 and I currently weigh 145, started out at 160.

the items you mentioned,chips,pasta,cake are carbs and carbs are absorbed 100%, there is no malabsorption with them.

Salads are useless fillers when trying to lose weight after WLS.

without all the junk food and eating high protein and high fat and low carb you should be able to reach goal quickly.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/7/20 2:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Weight loss after a revision is almost always slower than after an original surgery.

Cheating on your post-op diet, even a "normal serving" once a week, will absolutely slow you down. If you want to maintain a decent rate of loss, you need work hard and follow your surgeon's guidelines closely.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 2/10/20 7:46 pm - Warren, OH

You have reached the point where you eat enough calories to maintain your weight. The only way to lose now is to eat less calories than you burn. It takes 10 calories a day to maintain 1 pound. I bet if you track your calories for a few weeks, you will be at about 1400 or 1500 a day.

To get rid of a pound a week, drop 500 calories a day. That is 3500 in a week or one pound.

Stick to 1000 per day for a week and I guarantee you will be one pound lighter To maintain 125 you will need to stay at 1250 per day. After weight loss surgery, our metabolism slows down and we need less calories than before.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

velouria
on 2/13/20 7:10 am

Thank so much everyone for your help. I have cut ALL processed sugars (still having fruit) and have already seen a difference!

Most Active
Recent Topics