Slow resting heart rate question

Brandi Girl
on 3/25/21 2:45 pm
WLS on 10/18/11

Not sure where to post this or if there is anyone who can help. I am in the process of trying to qualify for revision. I found out today that my ECG I have Sinus Bradycardia with otherwise normal ECG. I am now wondering if this will disqualify me for surgery? The resting heartrate should be no lower than 60 and mine is 58 so not terrible (if that matters). Any input would help ease my mind. Thank you!

sue9999
on 3/27/21 11:05 am
RNY on 02/08/21

Hi BrandiGirl: I have had significant arrhythmia issues with my heart since I was in my 20s and had 3 separate ablation procedures to "fix" those. I still have frequent skipping (PACs and PVCs and brief tachy runs). In addition, my resting heart rate has slowly been decreasing over the past 3 years. My electrophysiologist and my cardiologist are aware and no one seems to upset about it. If it keeps decreasing, I assume eventually I could end up with a pacemaker but I'm not going to worry about it until the time comes. All that said, I had RNY less than 7 weeks ago with all that history. My heart docs both were fine with it and one said it could help with some of my symptoms (could, not would). While I can't comment directly on what your doctors will say with regard to you, if my experience is an example, then you will likely be able to go ahead as planned, although you may be required to see a cardiologist to get cardiac clearance first.

califsleevin
on 4/28/21 9:45 am - CA

I would not expect it to make a difference, but of course, the ultimate authority on this is your surgical team - they may want a cardiac consult to assure them that there is nothing else lurking in there along with it.

My resting rate has been about 50 since my WLS almost ten years ago, but it hasn't been an issue with subsequent surgeries (plastics, orthopedics). Last year when I was in for an endoscopy, the anesthesiologist was seeing 39 when I was on the table before any meds had been administered, and I started wearing my watch to bed which confirmed that I was often hitting 40ish overnight. We did a Holter monitor test to see if anything else was going on, and it wasn't - it's just the way I am now, with the cardiac capacity of someone half again as big as I am.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics