Revision Result

KathyDallas11
on 7/14/21 7:02 am

I am a 51 year old professional. I had wls August 2014 (sleeve). My lowest wieght was 180. My highest wieght was 291. (Dang I was definitely a Big girl).Currently , I am 235 with a BMI 40.30.

I am moving forward towards revision sugery. However, I confused about only lossing 20 pounds postoperative. Is there any female on this form who had achieved a nomal BMI after revision?

White Dove
on 7/15/21 3:50 pm, edited 7/15/21 8:50 am - Warren, OH

I have been on this forum since 2003. I can recall one person *****vised to RNY and is at about normal BMI. She works very hard at diet and exercise. The weight loss is not from the revision, although that did help her GERD.

The usual 20 pound of revision weight loss is from the pre-op liquid diet and is typical of any revision. Most regain that once they heal from the surgery and go back to their normal eating. After weight loss surgery there is bounceback regain in year three of approximately 20 pounds. By year five about 50% of people have regained about 40 to 50 pounds. By year ten, regain is even higher. After the effect of surgery wears off, the only way to maintain weight loss is fewer calories in and more calories burned.

The 100 pound or more weight loss that follows the initial surgery is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. It does not happen with revisions.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Leslie2016
on 7/26/21 3:48 pm

Hi, Is that 20 pounds even with an RNY to Switch revision? Im 16 years out from RNY, lost 100, bounced back 10, 10 from meopause and now the pandemic has gifted me 40 more. Ugh!! I see my surgeon tomorrow and will post what he says.

White Dove
on 7/26/21 5:40 pm, edited 7/26/21 10:41 am - Warren, OH

RNY to Switch is a very complicated operation and I cannot recall anyone on this board who had it, except one person who passed away shortly after the surgery. We never knew if his death was surgery related. I spoke to a surgeon in Spain who did the RNY to DS and he told me that I would not have done any better with DS than I did with RNY.

There are only a few surgeons in the world who do that conversion. Most people lose about 100 pounds with RNY, then gain back twenty during year three. About 50% have gained back 50 by year 5. As time goes on, regain is higher. Anything that tightens the pouch, sleeve, or stoma can be stretched out again if you eat too much at one time. Keeping from overeating will be for life. Losing more than the 20 pounds from the liquid diet pre and post conversion will involve less calories and more exercise.

You will probably get more responses if you start a new tread, as many people don't look at old ones.

There is a person who posts on the DS tread who I believe was a revision from RNY to DS

mrsmac2017
on 9/7/21 12:39 pm
Revision on 11/04/21

Just wondering where the 20 weight loss post revision is the norm. I have not heard that anywhere before. What kind of revision did they have and what was their original surgery procedure?

thanks in advance

White Dove
on 9/8/21 1:56 pm - Warren, OH

Your old stomach before surgery held about 32 to 48 ounces. Think of a 2-liter soda bottle. You could hold one or two of those full of food.

After surgery you get a pouch that is about two ounces. Maybe the size of a walnut. You eat a tiny amount of food and you are stuffed. The pouch grows to about the size of a large egg. As it grows we learn how to eat more.

We get good at eating many times during the day and gaining weight even with a tiny stomach.

A revision might cut the pouch down from eight to four ounces, but that is not a big shock because it is almost the same as before. And we know how to put enough food into our pouch to maintain and gain weight.

Almost everyone goes back to drinking with their meals instead of waiting 30 minutes. Drinking with meals really helps to eat a lot more.

Most revision patients lose 20 pounds because they are on a restrictive diet preparing for and after surgery. But once they are able to eat normally again, they go back to the same amount of food as before the surgery.

The only way to lose weight is by eating less calories and burning more calories. Just waiting for the magic that happened after the first weight loss surgery does not work.

mrsmac2017
on 9/8/21 6:12 pm
Revision on 11/04/21

My revision is not going to reduce the size of my pouch. If that was what I was having done, then yes, I know that there are ways to eat more.

Not all revisions are the same so I was just inquiring as to where the 20 lbs of weight loss post revision was coming from.

Thanks for the clarification of what type of revision you were commenting about!

White Dove
on 9/9/21 12:34 am - Warren, OH

That is true and every person is different. I would love to hear more about what you are having done and what the results have been with other patients.

mrsmac2017
on 9/8/21 6:19 pm
Revision on 11/04/21

Hey there Kathy,

I am a 53 yo professional who is having a revision to my RNY. I am not going to a DS. I am having a Distalization done. Results from that type of revision will yield much different results.

I am happy to share what I know with you.

What type of revision are you seeking?

Most Active
Recent Topics