Revision of original DS Surgery

bbbacres
on 11/4/22 5:58 pm

I am a long-term veteran of bariatric surgery. I had a full DS surgery in 2002. It worked wonderfully for many many years. For about 12 years I didn't vary more than three or four pounds and I was at a very acceptable weight. Then at the end of about 12 years the surgery started to fail or at least to work less effectively. I lost about 100 lb originally. Well yesterday I was 50 lb more than I was at my low after the DS surgery. So I would like to get a revision. For medical reasons too long to set out, I cannot get a resleeve. That leaves as a revision a shortening of the common channel. This would hopefully "renew" my malabsorption and get weight loss going.

However, it will also renew the possibility of metabolic problems, and bring on more loose and smelly stools.

My big fear is that weight loss would be poor. They warn us a 2nd surgery is not like the first. Has anyone had a ds revision like this? Can you describe your results? Any other thoughts?

airbender
on 11/20/22 5:10 pm

hi there

do you know you limb lengths? It is in your operative report. Be careful shortening your common channel. I assume your common channel is already short since you had it in 2002. A reputable surgeon will not shorten a 100 or less common channel. Best to you

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active
Recent Topics