It might actually happen

susanegrindle
on 2/20/04 10:58 am - Whitehouse, FL
I got a surgery date, 30 Mar 04 for a revision due to suture line failure. Getting insurance to pre approve took some doing and it has been 3 months since my consult with the Doctor but finally a date.
Candace R.
on 2/20/04 11:18 pm - Houston, Tx
Susan, I am so happy for you. You must feel like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I am waiting to hear from insurance on my VBG to RNY revision. I just want to know. We can plan with facts, the unknown is the pits!
susanegrindle
on 2/21/04 1:30 am - Whitehouse, FL
Just keep at the insurance companies. My doctor had to go to bat with my secondary ins. com. He ended up in a conference call with the physician from Cigna, but finally convinced them. I am still not sure why my primary ins, Bc/BS came around, at first both insurance companies tried to treat my revision as an original gastric bypass and wanted all kinds of extra paperwork like you would need for a first time bypass and not for a failed suture line. Needless to say I have sweated out the last 3 months while trying to get everything accomplished. Hang in there it can be done!
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/04 8:29 am - WV
Susan, Congrats to you. I called my insurance today and everything went into review on Friday. I am going to call them daily until they tell me I am approved. I also and awaiting an approval for a revision from VGB to RNY. I cant wait. But, I am so excited for you.
susanegrindle
on 2/23/04 12:03 pm - Whitehouse, FL
Good for you Tami, keep your spirits up and keep at them. I cannot tell you the amount of frustration that I faced the last 3 months. It can make you crazy but dont let it. Good Luck and God Bless, Susan
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/04 11:00 pm - WV
Thank you Susan for the encouraging words. I need all I can get at this point. I have called my insurance company every day. Maybe they will get tired of hearing from me and approve it. So at least I will be in the hospital for about a week and they wont have to worry about hearing from me. Just kidding.. I wish you the best.
Patti N.
on 2/24/04 5:44 am - Marion, IN
You know Susan I never thought about this surgery being different from my original wls when it comes to getting approved, I'm going to check into this tomorrow. ( I had mine in 1984).
Lillian J.
on 2/27/04 6:55 am - Courtland, VA
Hello LAdies. I am new to this and researching surguries. Why are you doing a reversion? What problems are you having? Any help will be gratly appreciated.
Patti N.
on 2/27/04 9:39 pm - Marion, IN
Hi Lillian, I have a staple line disruption. I think it was partially the way the surgery was performed back then (1984) and partially because we just didn't have the information and support that there is now, so you see alot of revisions from that period which one Dr. I spoke to call the stone age of this surgery.If your concerned about having it because of seeing people having to have revisions just know it is not the same has what I and some others had back then.Also know that if you are are considering a revision from a previous wls, that it happens so don't be down, anyway good luck with your journey if you decide to wls.
susanegrindle
on 3/6/04 9:50 pm - Whitehouse, FL
Hi, Lillian, my original surgery was 4 rows of staples across the top of my stomach. After time the staples have pulled apart and my stomach no longer functions like a bypass stomach. That is called a failed suture line. It will need to be corrected to contribute to weight loss. Should it not be corrected it is of no help the way it is. Now the surgery I will have actually cuts the top of the stomach off and makes a smaller stomach pouch and sews and staples it up for the bypass, thus it is totally separate and has almost no chance of a failed suture line. I am having the revision with RNY on Mar 30, 2004. You are right to do your homework and seek answers. Most bariatric doctors will gladly send you info if you contact them regarding the surgeries. Good Luck, Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics