Pouch Too Big?

Sue S.
on 11/3/04 7:13 am - Centerport, NY
Hi Everyone- Has anyone ever had revision surgery because of a pouch that's too big? I have not lost any weight in about 6 weeks despite exercise, water and trying to eat right. I also feel like my pouch holds too much (I can eat way too much). I am 5 months out. Has anyone had to have revision because a pouch was made too big to begin with? Is this done? Should I get a second opinion? Any opinions would be appreciated. Sue
smileey
on 11/3/04 8:21 am - FL
Sue, I just had this discussion with my surgeon. Yes, there is a likely possiblility your pouch may be too big or that something has gone wrong inside, its one or the other and an upper gi series will show your surgeon. My surgeon is certain its one of these 32 things with me. I am having and upper gi done on Friday. I eat like a normal person and then some but my surgery was 20 years ago when they made the puches way bigger to begin with. Sounds like you may have something wrong inside being only 5 months out. I would get the upper gi and see what that shows. Hope this helps.
dtspoodle
on 11/4/04 2:31 am - Las Cruces, NM
Hi, Sue: I had an RNY in August, 2001. I lost 75 pounds the first four months and quit losing. I, like you, could eat too much food at only about four or five months out. About a year ago, I began gaining weight. I had a revision to DS in September, 2004. My revision surgeon indicated the pouch either had not been made small enough to begin with or had stretched way out. I have lost 35 pounds since surgery. I assume since you're only five months out, your doctor wouldn't consider a revision at this point, but it might be something to think about down the road. Dale
Sue S.
on 11/4/04 6:44 am - Centerport, NY
Dear Dale- Thanks for your reply. It was very, very helpful. I'm assuming that you went to a different surgeon for the revision. Would that be correct? Did you ever try to address the issue with your first surgeon? It's just so discouraging to go through this traumatic surgery and then suddenly just stop losing weight. I wish I understood what was going. Thanks again... Sue
smileey
on 11/5/04 1:39 am - FL
Just question on your revision...if your pouch was stretched or too big was there a reason you got the DS and not just surgical correction of your pouch size? Did you surgeon give you the option?
Christine W.
on 11/22/04 1:51 pm - redding, CA
Dale I applaude your decision to go DS . This is my first time checking out the revision board. I am scheduled for DS 12-8-04 and was just couriouse what and why the revisions. I almost cannot believe the stories posted here. No disrespect intended. It is amazing how much some have been through I spend my time on the DS board and read the constant praises and succsess with the DS. I wish everyone here the best but I don't think I can bare to keep reading . God Bless A soon to be switch sister!!!
karen K.
on 11/8/04 12:48 am - Lawton, ok
sue something you may want to consider...my pouch was too large and i had the adjustable gastric band band (lap band) put on my rny pouch. its a much quicker surgery, not as risky as having to have your intestines re routed (again). I had to have my surgery open but its been 2 weeks and i feel great and i am loosing again! hope this has been helpful. email if you have any questions. karen
Most Active
Recent Topics