HOLE IN POUCH!

steffani T.
on 11/5/04 7:13 am - PARKER, CO
I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE A HOLE THAT GOES FROM MY POUCH TO MY OLD STOMACH SO FOOD AND THINGS CAN LEAK INTO IT. THE SURGERN WHO DID IT WANTS TO WAIT UNTIL I GAIN WEIGHT NOW I DON'T FEEL THAT, THAT MAKES MUCH SENCE BUT I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO DO. I BELIEVE I NEED TO GET A 2ND OPPION BUT I FEEL HE SHOULD HAVE TO FIX IT. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
sjbob
on 11/6/04 12:09 pm - Willingboro, NJ
As to your original surgeon saying he wants to wait until you gain weight before doing a revision, that seems to make sense to me. In other words, why change while you are still losing weight? Your ins may not be willing to pay for a revision if you are still losing weight. Once you start to gain even a pound, then you should request a revision. Several people have told me to insist that the surgeon transect and make a new pouch as part of the revision. Another thing to keep in mind is that the revision surgery is more dangerous than the original surgery. You are automatically at a higher risk when you have the revision. You should have no problem getting approval as long as a doc can verify that there is a hole in the pouch. You are not doing anything wrong.
M H.
on 11/7/04 6:34 am - Panama City, FL
I had an Lap RNY 01/2002. 3 weeks later I was back in the hospital with a perforated ulcer. I stayed 2 weeks and my ulcer was healing on it's own..no surgery thank God. I came home followed the instructions as to diet and excerise. On Dr visits, he was very please with me. I had gotten down from 285 to 147, which was my lowest. I am now 185. No matter what I do, I am gaining weight. By the way, this weight gain has been since this past spring. I don't eat much. Now, in July I had a TT 4 weeks later I had a upper eyelid face and neck lift, 3 weeks after that I had a neck revision. I have been tied up all summer not being able to do anything. My tummy incision took a long time healing. I have been protein loading, taking my vitamins. Now and then I do eat sweets, but not much. It seems I can eat eaything I want, have been since the rny. I have been scoped to make sure my ulcer is healed and they've said my pouch looked fine. My last scope was March 2004. I have not been back to the surgeon (rny) because of the weight gain. I'm afraid they'll say your eating too much. Can my pouch stretch out from the ulcer? I am so miserable from this weight gain. Could I possibly have something wrong and not know it? My origianl rny surgeon moved out of state but there's another Dr in the same office that took over doing WLS. Please help. Any suggestions?? Maybe I'm "grazing?' and not realize it? But this much weight gain in such a short period of time?????? HELP
karen K.
on 11/8/04 12:45 am - Lawton, ok
hi something you may want to check is if the opening to your pouch (stoma) is too large. if so, you could be eating more than you think. i just had a lap band put on my rny pouch. something you may want to look into. karen
Most Active
Recent Topics