revisions and hernia

Beverly H.
on 11/7/04 10:02 am - Pensacola, Fl
Has anyone had a hernia repair and revision done at the same time? I have a hernia on the left side about 2 1/2 inches and a little higher than my belly button, that is really beginning to bother me. (pain, a nagging pain). my pcp called it an umbelical hernia and that they rarely bothered to fix them. My surgeon says it has nothing to do with the surgery he performed. Ha....to hear him tell it he did nothing wrong...I stretched my pouch and stoma by eating too much and drinking carbonated beverages. Now how did I manage to lose 125 lbs if I was non-compliant as he says? Oh well the ego's of surgeons are well known. Oh yes he said the protein drinks/shakes were what made me start gaining weight!!! appreciate any feedback. Beverly in the land of the Blue Roofs courtesy of Hurricane Ivan the Terrible
MsBatt
on 12/4/04 1:16 pm
Hernias are a VERY COMMON post-op complication of ANY sort of abdominal surgery, and most especially any form of WLS. Obese people are at an espically high risk for hernias following abdomimal surgery, and rapid weight loss often brings them on. That said, *I* think your surgeon's bull****ting you when he says you've 'stretched your pouch' by eating too much and drinking carbonated beverages. Do I have medical data to back this up? NO---but you really might want to read the profile of an OH member named Helen Collins, or H. Collins---if you can't find her through a 'Find Peers' search, post on the Main Board looking for her. She's a very outspoken member who's suffered with a failed stoma (which I most likely your problem, too!) and has gotten a 'hybrid' revision to correct it. I'm sure she can give you some helpful advice.
Most Active
Recent Topics