RNY revision doubts

mandefarmer
on 8/7/05 11:19 am - decatur, IN
Hello I had a VBG in '98 and lost 110lbs since then I gained about 40lbs back. My metabolism crashed and I haven't gained or lost anything in several years. I lost contact with my bariatric program because the hospital went bankrupt and shut down. I finally hooked up with my previous surgeon and she recommends a revision to the RNY or the DS (my medicaid plan doesn't cover the DS) so I have no choice but the RNY and truthfully I'm afraid that I won't lose that much weight to justify the risks. I need to hear from anyone that went into their revision to an RNY with about 175lbs to lose. I want to know if anyone has been successful and if it was worth the risks. I would appreciate any and all replys. Sincerely, Micah
Bonnie M
on 8/8/05 12:04 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
I'm a revision from a VBG of 20 years ago. At 3 months out I've lost about 75 lbs(maybe more--my appointment is Thurs). No complications or concerns. Everything is going great.
mandefarmer
on 8/10/05 3:26 am - decatur, IN
Bonnie- Thank you for sharing with me it has made me feel so much better. I am starting to excersice now so I am in the habit by surgery. What have you done to keep your weight coming off? Also what kinds of things do you eat in a day? Thanks for all of your help, Micah
Cassandra K
on 8/9/05 1:09 am - Reno, NV
Hi Micah, You might try a couple of consultations with revision surgeons to find out what they think you could accomplish with a revision. They do perform the DS at the University of Chicago as well as the RNY. Those surgeons might be your bet to 1.) consult with since they perform both the RNY and DS surgeries and can give you a better idea of what your options are. 2.) probably accept your insurance with no problem. If you consult with an RNY only surgeon they can only give you one perspective of that type of revision and not two options. I certainly wouldn't rule out the DS option until one of the DS surgeons submitted the request for a DS to see what happens. In the state of California many times a revision from a band or failed RNY to a revision RNY will be denied on appeal and they will approve a for a DS instead. The reason is that the DS has the best track record for gettting the weight off and keeping it off long term. If you qualify for wls you qualify for a DS. Plus the lifestyle with the DS is just fabulous. I sometimes forget I ever had surgery other then taking my vitamins all day. But I'll take that over medications and diabetes any day! I'm so glad I had a revision as I was still obese after my first wls. I went on to loose more weight with my revision then I did my first wls. I just met with my surgeon last week and I'm ready for the tummy tuck stage now! He thinks I should end up with a near normal weight and bmi as I'm already very close! I'm so very happy. Best to you. Cassandra, currently in Los Angeles, CA
Kimmer K
on 8/9/05 5:45 am - GA
Micah- I have heard of quite a few folks getting their original ds paid for by medicaid, so I would not rule that out! Good Luck, Kim
mandefarmer
on 8/9/05 6:49 am - decatur, IN
Hi Kimmer- The typical medicaid plan does cover the DS, however the division of medicaid that I am on does not, for some bizarre reason. I am confident it comes down to money. I would rather the DS but I think that is not possible. You just had the DS right? How are you doing with it? I read the DS board when it was still an option for me. Good luck with your journey too. Thanks micah
Kimmer K
on 8/9/05 7:04 am - GA
Hey Micah- It is going very, very well. I can highly recommend the surgery. It was the right choice for me. I have lost 25 pounds in 4 weeks and I think that I am eating well. I was already contemplating having it in Brazil if the insurance did not come through for me. You may have some medical history that would make the Ds a medical necessity for you. You could appeal with a lawyer's help. Please go have a consult with an experienced ds surgeon before you give up. Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics