Could this be true...

rpickens72601
on 3/27/11 6:34 am - MI
I am 5 days post-op the day of surgery i weighed 345lbs, today im 331,4lbs thats 13.6 lbs lost in 5 days. I didnt have a pre-op diet to follow only a 2 day cleansing....I am really shocked to see the weight coming off like that. I hope its not my scale but i weighed my self on Saturday and it was 334.4 lbs and today its 331.4 lbs thats 2 almost 3lbs a day is that normal, am I doing something wrong.......I have been having a hard time getting my protein in..so i decided to drink carnation instant breakfast and skim milk that gave me 13 grams of protein i did that every 2 hours to try to get my protein in today. I eat sf popsicles and water and try to get flud in. My urine was a lil dark last night so i got alot of fluid in so today it looks kind of normal...I had a bowl movement(TMI) it was brown in color and not dark it made my stomach feel a whole lot betta.....so im not trying to play the dum RNY patient, but is this normal to lose like that in the beginining.....or am i just getting my hopes up high for failure...( IM SO TRIED OF FAILED DIET PLAINS).......
Lady Lithia
on 3/27/11 6:40 am
I was retaining water big time when I went in for surgery

In the first 24 hours I lost 15 pounds!
In the next week, I lost 9 more pounds
In week next week, I lost ONE pound
In weeks three, four, five, six, seven, and eight, I didn't lose an OUNCE

At 2 months I was down 33 pounds
At 3 months down 50 pounds
at 6 months down 70 pounds (50% excess weight)
at 1 year 108 pounds
at 29 months I made goal (139 pounds)
I'm below that now.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

missjann
on 3/27/11 6:41 am
Sounds like you're doing well. Everybody will lose differently. I lost like that the first few weeks but weight loss has slowed dramatically now that I'm 3 months out.  I'm still losing steadily, but at a much slower pace.

Just focus on your protein and fluids and the weight loss, and your body will do the rest. Also, I understand that often the more you weight, the more quickly the weight comes off in the beginning.  If you have concerns, contact your surgeon.

I started at 246 and 3 months out I'm down 53 pounds.  Have faith and do your part. I didn't think it would work as well for me as for others....clearly I'm wrong.

Good luck!
Becca20015
on 3/27/11 6:42 am, edited 3/27/11 6:46 am
Hey,  i just want to say congrats on your surgery! YaY! Now I haven't had my surgery yet but from reading other post I think your weight lost is normal.  I believe your weight lost is quick and somewhat steady  for the first months.   Don't beat yourself up, your post op journey has just begun.  You are not going to fail.  Keep your head up.  Best wishes
Paul C.
on 3/27/11 6:43 am - Cumming, GA
Everyone loses differently and at different rates I lost over 20 pounds my first week, while others may not. I lost like crazy for 6 months now I fight for every pound. Enjoy it now because it will slow down at some point.

Get your fluids and protein and you will be fine.

Awesome start to your new life.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
siberiancat
on 3/27/11 6:47 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Sounds like you are doing great.  Keep getting your fluids and protein in.  You may find it better not to compare yourself with other people.  We are so individual and our weight loss journeys (and weight history, genetics, metabolism,gender, etc.) are so different.

Just stay on your program and enjoy the ride.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

rpickens72601
on 3/27/11 6:55 am - MI
OMG!!!! thank you guys for your fast response i was over here bitting my nails, I was asking people who never had the surgery and was saying "oh thats too much weight loss your gonna be sick" so I decided to ask some of my professional RNY friends, (boy its nice to have friends in high places...LOL)  thanks alot i will stop worrying and try to keep getting that protein in and water in......I do have a question ???? My husband will not let me out the house, I am only walking around my small apartment no matter how much i tell him i can get out and walk, he is totally againist it, He is treating me like I had open heart surgery or something, I even let him read my discharge papers he is not convienced, but i have a follow up appt with my surgeon on Friday and hopefully the surgeon will shep some light on my husband, I mean i am really due for some fresh air, at least let me sit on the balcony but NOOOOOOOO, nothing...could someone offer some suggestions on how to move a stubborn old mule...
Paul C.
on 3/27/11 9:02 am - Cumming, GA
Wait till you stay busting out the stinkies then he will be more than happy to let you out!
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
20candy07
on 3/27/11 7:13 am - Tolleson, AZ
You're in the right place where no question is too dumb or gross and you will get answers.   If you have Krogers, there is a yogurt that is called Carb Masters that is 12 grams of protein per container.  One of these days you may not be able to tolerate milk in your diet as in the skim milk.   I've never drank all the water I was suppose too and I'm fine even after 3 years. 

All my best,
Candy

siberiancat
on 3/27/11 7:19 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Ask you husband to walk with you and hold your arm or something.  Walking is to prevent blood clots - it is important.  You can do what you feel able to do.  Will he go to work tomorrow?  Walk up and down the hallway or do some leg lifts or something in the apartment.

Have hubby call the surgeon nurse tommorrow and verify your activity level.  I liked to walk around the grocery store - didn't buy much but just needed the exercise.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics