Too many calories!??

BritsAQT89
on 4/11/11 10:56 am
Went the gym today and on the way out I grabbed a pure protein strawberry smoothie!! No sugar added. It was about 34g of protein, but it was also 318 calories and 40g of carbs (11g sugar)!!! This one small smoothie put me somewhere between 300-400 calories for the day!!!

Since my doctor hasnt and probably won't clear me to go back to kickboxing until I reach my "6 weeks"and I am "fully healed" I feel like I'm not doing enough exercise to lose the weight I want to lose.

This surgery is making me crazy!! I feel like a crazy person reading every nutrition label and counting every single calorie consumed and burned. And then if I dont work out I feel like I've gained the calories I've eatin and they are slowly turning to pounds!!

Is funny how one day I was kind of careless and just comfortable with my lifestyle and the next I'm obsessing over every pound!! This cannot be healthy!!!

AliSarah
on 4/11/11 11:17 am
How many ounces of liquid was it? It sounds like a lot of calories and carbs for the protein. I try not to eat things where the carbs number is higher than the protein number, but that's just one of my own things...

I don't think 300-400 calories in a day is too many though, you should be working up to getting near 1000-1500 a day (depending on your activity level), which will be much easier when you start eating meals on a regular basis!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
TrueNorthFriend
on 4/11/11 11:29 am - Canada
I think it is pretty normal to be anxious like you describe.   And if you are used to kickboxing, but can't right now - that in itself has got to be a little crazy making.  Sounds like you could use some good guidelines for protein/fats/carbs...   I never got any advice about calories so didn't count them.  But now I sort of watch them - but that is because I'm in transition from weight loss to maintenance ...  if I was more active, I'd be less concerned with the calories.  The weather is almost to where I can get on my bicycle every day! 

Hang in - you'll soon be back to your super active life and maybe you can ease off on the worry.  Exercise is good for lighting up the sweet spots in the brain.  8)
ANNI D.
on 4/11/11 11:32 am
I had surgery 4 days before you, and yes, sometimes I do feel a little crazy when I'm standing there reading every label and somebody's trying to get to something I'm standing in front of and I dont even notice! I especially feel self conscience when I'm looking at labels and I feel like people are staring at me like, why is that fat chick looking at labels? How pathetic, I bet she's trying to lose weight. I try to look at it like this... After about a hundred shopping trips at different places, or after about 6 months, we'll probably be able to walk into a store and know exactly what we want to buy and what is good for our program. I do get kind of obsessive about it though. Which is good in a way. It seems that lots of time, people post that they stuck to the plan and didnt stress about it, and lost weight continuously without stalls and the ones who are knit-picking obsessivr freaks dont lose like they want to. I know this isnt the real case but, it sure does seem like it sometimes! Just think how new this is to sooo many of us. We'll find a way to balance our health with our sanity, it will just take some time!!  
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Price S.
on 4/11/11 11:37 am - Mills River, NC
What does your plan say?  We didn't count calories or carbs in the beginning, just total protein and fluids.  300-400 calories for the day isn't too concerning, a little low, but that most of that was in one smoothie is.  That must mean you didn't have any other protein for the day.  Probably should be trying for about 60g-80g a day. 

Go back to your plan and see what it says to be eatting at this point.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

BritsAQT89
on 4/11/11 8:24 pm
Honestly, I wasnt really given a plan!! It was more like you shouldnt eat more than 10g of sugar at a time and try to get in at least this much protein!! ...Have fun!!  ...I have a packet to use as a guideline but it doesnt really help. Our base finally got a nutritionist last week and I tried to schedule an appt with her, but she said she'll call me back after she contacts my surgeon since she's never worked with him before!! ...Still waiting on that call. I would go off base, but I would have to pay for that and I really dont want to.

helengardner
on 4/11/11 12:50 pm
THE GYM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have been working out hardcore 4-5 days a week doing Zumba, Power flow, Core, and Stride by a very hard trainer who was voted one of the best in the state of MD in the last few weeks i have been eating so much well alot for this pouch i was very concerned and talked to my docs they told me to eat when i am hungrey the excercise is making my metabolism work and i have to satisfy it:))  Keep your head up the scale started moving alot faster when i added more calories!!  Good Luck
gbsinsatx
on 4/11/11 1:11 pm - San Antonio, TX
 Due to my arthritis I have never formally exercised yet. I currently eat 1000 calories a day and I am still losing. I have lost 171.6 pounds so far. I think you may want to be kinder to yourself and not so stressed out. 

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/11/11 1:29 pm - OH
That's a lot of carbs for one protein drink.  Please tell me, though, that you did not ONLY consume 400 calories and 34 g of protein that day...  you need more protein (and some additional calories probably as well).

You will eventually get used to reading the labels and knowing whet you should and should not have... because you will get a LOT of practice the first 6 months!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BritsAQT89
on 4/11/11 8:20 pm
Yup, only about 400 calories, but I had some chicken for lunch, so I did have more protein than just the 34g!!

Most Active
Recent Topics