Juicing???

godsend213
on 4/13/11 1:40 am - Fort Carson, CO
I am full of questions today...When do you think it is safe to start juicing some fruits and vegetables. I used to juice ALOT before surgery and I really miss it. I would take it slow and slowly add new fruits and veggies to try. What do you think? 

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

steve D.
on 4/13/11 1:43 am - West Fargo, ND
My feeling is that I try to not drink my calories if I can.  However, adding unflavored protein powder could provide you with an incredibly healthy and protein filled drink.  If you try that, let me know what you think.

Good Luck
Steve

lynnc99
on 4/13/11 1:49 am
Not sure about the veggies but my nutritionist cautioned me about fruit juices. They are a very concentrated source of sugars and can lead to (1) dumping and (2) intake of hidden calories.

I'd check before you go too far down the fruit juice road!
siberiancat
on 4/13/11 2:01 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I would think it is too early.  Focus on protein first and all your water & supplements.

I would agree that you could add some things to a protein shake in a vitamixer.  From what I understand a regular blender does not break the vegetables into small enough particles to go thru the cell wall.

At 2 years out, I eat whole foods and am considering some green smoothies and getting a vitamixer.

Go easy on fruit.  It is natural carbs but this early out your focus needs to be on protein requirements.  When you do fruit - eat it whole for the fiber as many of us tend to constipation after the first couple months.

Fruits really up your carb totals.  You might ask your dietician.  When I was one month out I was still on full liquid and puree for month two.  I wasn't ready for whole food at 3 months.  Go easy -  your insides aren't healed yet.

Wishing you the best.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

godsend213
on 4/13/11 2:21 am - Fort Carson, CO
I am on soft foods and I am allowed certain fruits and certian soft veggies so I figure if I can eat them whole why cant I run them through a juicer. (There would be no pieces at all, just the juice). No matter what I post alot of people tell me to focus on the protien, I do focus on that really I do. I just want something different. I thought a 4oz glass of real juice wouldn't hurt once in a while. We shall see.

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/13/11 7:23 am - OH
The difference between eating the fruit and drinking the fruit juice is that -- further out -- your pouch will feel full after you eat but will NOT feel full after you drink the juice... which means you are consuming calories and carbs without feeling full... and that can be dangerous as far as regain down the road.

Even ice cream once in a while won't hurt, but I wouldn;t recommend it to someone who is a brand new post-op.  People are trying to help keep you on the path that will lead to the greatest chance of not regaining down the road... when you no longer malabsorb the calories and have only your small pouch and new eating habits to keep you from gaining weight.
Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

steve D.
on 4/13/11 2:28 am - West Fargo, ND
It won't hurt you.

Steve

cherryblossoms
on 4/13/11 5:51 am
  Try a 1 ounce shot of wheatgrass juice. I haven't had one since surgery; I remember they used to give me a bit of a rush right after drinking it  pre~ surgery... I wonder what it would do now?

This isn't nutritional advice for sure... I wouldn't want someone to listen to me then keel over. NOOOOO   :(   bad.

Hey , maybe I will go to Jamba and get one today!

Lorna