This is horrible...any advice?

RCOK0011
on 4/20/11 10:14 am - CA
Had my surgery on 4/5 and so this past Monday around noon I had some cream of brocoli soup because I believe it is on my list of appproved foods.  Within an hour my tummy was cramping horribly and then within 4 hours, I was vomiting. The vomiting went on until around 10:00. I wasn't able to lay down because it increased the tummy cramping and a little after midnight I was able to nod off to sleep a little while sitting up. Around 4:00 a.m. my tummy cramps woke me up and I threw up again around 7:30 a.m. All day long I suffered with the cramping but no throwing up.  Around 10:00 that night I took some of my liquid pain medicine but of course that didn't stay down but I was able to get to sleep. Today, the cramping is a lot less but is still present and thankfully there has been no more vomiting.  I have only been taking in water since this began on Monday. Does anyone have any experience with something like this or any advice they are willing to share????
Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 10:15 am - OH
MANY cream soups (especially those served in restaurants!) are very high in fat and many people have trouble with too much fat early out. If it was a canned or boxed soup, check the fat content on the label.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Michelle V.
on 4/20/11 10:16 am - GA
 I haven't had any problems that bad but I would call my doctor.  Any vomiting or neusea lasting that long doesn't sound good.

Koko10
on 4/20/11 10:19 am - NC
I agree with Michelle V. I had my surgery 4/1 and I have not had the vomiting problem but I did have nausea. I called the Dr. and I had a ulcer. They know how to help. Give them a call.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 10:23 am
If you are saying you effectively have had no liquids stay down for an entire day, you should call your surgeon.

I also agree that cream of broccoli soup is likely full of fat. I would (as if I need to say it) avoid it for a few months and when you try it again, try ONE spoon full..... if that works, the NEXT day try two.... you don't want to go throguh that again.

Good luck....and DO call your surgeon if you've had less than 10 oz liquid in 24 hours.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

RCOK0011
on 4/20/11 10:25 am - CA
Thank you guys. I did call the doctor's office and they told me to just worry about getting water down which I seem to be able to do.  It is just the cramping and the nauseous feeling that is making me crazy!!
Hugs and Smooches
Ramona

unewillow
on 4/20/11 10:42 am - CT
Does your plan say to strain the soup? I know mine did. Broccoli, even in soups, gives me horrible gas and gas cramps. Maybe it was too much ruffage?

DeeNadj
on 4/20/11 11:29 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
I had a hospitalization for severe dehydration 10 days after my RNY. It was awful. But thing I did come home with was medication for nausea and vomiting control (Phenergen and one other self-dissolving pill, can't remember the name). If they aren't as worried as you are, maybe they could phone you in something because vomiting like that is NO JOKE. I've been there, and it's the worst.

Good luck with getting your fluids. Stay with it because it comes a HORRIBLE vicious cycle. I really hope you feel better soon.
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
twincredible
on 4/20/11 11:35 am

There is also lactose in many cream soups, and some people (me included) become lactose intolerant after surgery.  I forgot one time and had one tiny bite of creamed spinach and was sick as a dog within minutes. 

Good luck and please do take care of yourself!

Melissa
HW 320/SW 280/CW 149.5 /GW 145

grmadeb01
on 4/20/11 12:23 pm - FL
if you can get to your local health food store, call and ask them if they have "****ulus indicus" it is for motion sickness..but it will instanly take away that nauseas feeling....they are just little itty bitty pills about the side of a head of a pin..you just chew them up...and boy i was about to throw up and i grabed 4 of them and instantely it was gone...i now have them in several places around the house for easy reach and in my wallet...but i have not really had a spell since just that one time...
my daughter even came over and was feeling like she was going to loose it..i told her to eat these, and bam...she felt much better...
they do work..i got them for when i went on a scenic boat tour, and i have motion sickness very bad..and they worked great the whole boat tour..
have a great day
debby
Most Active
Recent Topics