Glasses and Contacts After WLS

DComstock2010
on 4/22/11 1:55 am - CA
Was anyone told to wait a certian amount of time before getting a new RX for contacts or glasses? I know that after you have a baby you should wait at least 6 weeks for your hormones to calm down as they can affect your vision and RX. I have been told that WLS also affects our hormones. When does that calm down? My glasses were bugging me before surgery and now they are really bugging me. However glasses are not cheap at all and I have no insurance. Any help is appriciated.
RNY- 2/18/2011

steve D.
on 4/22/11 2:02 am - West Fargo, ND
My eye doctor told me at my last visit (9 months out) that my eyesight had changed dramatically.  He said that losing so much weight caused the eye to flatten out.  So I no longer have an eyeglass restriction on my drivers license and only use glasses for fine work and small print. 

If you can, I would wait until you get close to your goal weight.  But that is just my opinion.

Steve

MoLawEd
on 4/22/11 2:27 am, edited 4/22/11 2:27 am - Cambridge, MA
I was definitely never told this and my eyesight has not changed at all. It might depend on what your issues are. Mine are severe nearsightedness and slight astigmatism.

Having RNY was probably the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Approx highest weight: ~350. Highest measured weight: 338. Surgery weight: 297. Lowest weight (for 5 minutes): 169. Current weight: 209. Goal weight: ??? - maybe 180-185, which was my maintenance weight before the regain.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/22/11 3:37 am - OH
Have never heard that.  My eyeglass prescription did not change after surgery or after losing all the weight.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

candie33
on 4/22/11 3:42 am
I feel like my vision is changing

sonnieN
on 4/22/11 3:46 am - grand rapids, MI
My vison has stayed exactly the same
DeeNadj
on 4/22/11 6:04 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
I feel like mine is changing. But it is time for another eye exam, so it could be just naturally changing and have nothing to do with my surgery. But I do find myself wearing my glasses when I want to see CLEARLY, and wearing contacts when I'm going to be outside for a while and will need to wear my sunglasses.
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Most Active
Recent Topics