does any one regret having gastric bypass?

cjkoepp
on 4/28/11 9:34 am - NC
9 weeks post op. i'vedeveloped an ulcer, already been in the ER for severe dehydration. Nothing i put in my mouth tastes good not even water. I keep this horrible white thick foam in my mouth and can not eat or drink anything. I'm now regreting having the surgery.
poet_kelly
on 4/28/11 9:41 am - OH
I think a bit of buyer's remorse is not that uncommon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

silly_sandy
on 4/28/11 9:44 am - IL
I am so sorry that you're having so many problems.  When did the problems begin?  I'm eight weeks out and (knock wood) haven't had any problems with the exception that after about 8pm, I can't drink water.   Kinda feels like a brick in my stomach. I hope the doctors are able to get your complications fixed!!  ((hugs)) Feel better!

HW: 307  SW:  254  CW: 177 GW: 150
Amy R.
on 4/28/11 9:54 am
Hang in there. It WILL get better. It just doesn't seem like it right now.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. PM me if you just want to vent. I had life-threatening complications, so I can kinda get where you're coming from. But in answer to your thread title asking if I regret it? Hell, no.

My life is better now than it has been in 15 years. I'm LIVING again!
Amy L.
on 4/28/11 9:59 am - Buffalo, NY
i'm so sorry that you're not feeling well right now.  That thick foam is a serious sign of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Please be careful!

I hit a few bumps along the way, bad nausea, intolerance for any type of protein supplement, the typical minor hair loss started at 3 months.  But, I take it all with a grain of salt, know those things will pass, and now I only have 21 pounds to my goal. So, it's all very personal, and individual what type of experience you will have.  Just hang in there, take it one day at a time, and please, please get that dehydration under control. Best of luck to you.
  5'5"tall, RNY 11/22/10, HW256  SW252 CW148 SurgeonGW160 MyGW130  5/15/2011 
Met my surgeon's goal weight of 160lbs on 3/30/11! Reached 130lbs on 5/24/11!

CURRENTLY 120LBS, 9/7/11!

avidreader
on 4/28/11 10:02 am - Cary, NC
So sorry you are having problems.  I am 3 years out and I have no regrets, but I can certainly understand your feelings at this point.  Hope you are feeling better very soon!

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
curvaceousdiva
on 4/28/11 10:08 am - Hyattsville, MD
well Ive hated mine for a while... Ive lost too much weight IMO... and trying to gain.... and had those issues early out as well... it gets better
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Lady Lithia
on 4/28/11 10:15 am
White foam in your mouth? Are you saying that you your mouth is coated in white, or just that you foam with some of your foods.... (if your mouth is coated in white, you likely have Thrush, which is a miserable ... but easily treated... condition)

a LOT of folks have issues to begin with.

I have known VERY few people who continue to hate it forever..... most get over the "growing pains" of the surgery, and enjoy the positive aspects.

Remember, there isa  lot of support here.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/28/11 10:20 am - OH
Sorry you're having such a bad time.  Some poeple have a rough time physically for the first couple of months and some people have a rough time emotionally/psychologically the first couple of months (and some have BOTH), but for most people the problems pass and by 6 months out, they no longer regret having the surgery and are enjoying watching the weight come off.

Hopefully that will be the case for you.  Does your surgeon know what's up with the foam?!?

Hang in there.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 4/28/11 10:30 am
Early post op sucks.  It's kind of like pregnancy in the beginning.  You feel like **** and no one even knows you are pregnant.  There are all these changes, learning to cope without comfort foods and sometimes complications and you can't see any progress.  Once the weight loss shows and you start getting reactions and of course you feel better physically it will feel more worth it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics