I totally HATE my CPAP machine!!!!!!!!

sunny_in_texas
on 5/2/11 1:00 pm - San Antonio, TX

Well, I did a sleep study and they determined I have some minor sleep APNEA. They gave me a CPAP machine last week and I have having an awful time getting used to it. I'm using a nasal mask because I always breath through my nose, but I feel as though I can't breath as well with it on. I have been putting Mentholatum in my nose to keep it moist because the humidifier isn't doing that great of a job. Has anyone else has issues with a CPAP and does it get better!?!?!?!

Sunny B.

Decide what to be and go be it.....

mjdenco
on 5/2/11 1:05 pm

It gets better, but IMO always sucked. Lose the weight and in many cases the apnea clears up.
ete77
on 5/2/11 1:41 pm, edited 5/2/11 2:01 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
 5 years ago I went to a sleep study and was told I had mild sleep apnea.  I weighed 270 and was 5'4'.  I remember crying the second night of the sleep test when they fitted me for the cpap machine.  It scared the hell outta me and I remember praying to God to lose the weight and feeling really low.  
Fastforward to last week: I had this sleep test again for the RNY surgery I plan to have: I now have severe slep apnea.  The woman actually called me the next day to tell me that normal adults get 90-95% oxygen while they sleep and my oxygen level never rose above 56%.  I also weigh fifty some pounds more than I did 5 years ago.  If I wasn't started on my 6 month towards the surgery I think I would've been destrought but this time I'm grateful for the data that will help me get this approved by my insurance.
As far as getting used to the cpap machine- I think if you give it a shot you can get used to it.  But who wants to?  I agree.

Ete 

Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.
Tony Robbins

flyingwoman
on 5/2/11 1:43 pm, edited 5/2/11 1:43 pm
If you only have mild sleep apnea, you can probably go with a TAPII dental device in lieu of the CPAP, but it will be pricey.

I had extra severe sleep apnea and needed a pressure of 18. Using a CPAP made me feel like I developed arthritis overnight. It was very painful and very brutal. I finally had to transition to a bipap to get compliant. It gets a lot easier with time. 

Using mentholatum, or any oil based lubricant will damage your mask and make an improper seal. Try a water based nasal lubricant instead, and try upping your humidifier.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
angieh299
on 5/2/11 1:56 pm
I went with a full mask almost 2 years ago and love it. I feel so relaxed knowing that air is moving into me and I will be able to breathe, to me it is a comfort. It was terrifying for me to wake up and be gasping for air. I'd be so exhausted I could barely stay awake during the day. I would nod off during church and couldn't attend classes or anything in the evening because I couldn't keep my eyes open.
It WAS hard at first to get used to. But I remember during the first week that I had a dream for the first time in many years. I then had blood tests and found my growth hormone(I have no functioning hormones) had doubled and was now too high because I was finally entering the stage of sleep when it is working in your body! I was able to reduce my growth hormone injection to a more reasonable level, which also helped my blood sugar readings slightly at the time because it is an insulin receptor medication.

So all in all the CPAP is a GOOD thing, and so worth it. I did do the full mask because I am a total mouth breather. You might want to try another mask and see if it easier for you. I tried the nose one and thought I would die, you have to really focus on keeping your mouth closed or it gets all messed up. I like the full mask since I can then breathe with my nose or my mouth and I can open and close, cough etc...

I hope it gets better for you soon! See your doctor about it for sure or call the nurse!

Diane W.
on 5/2/11 2:05 pm - Los Banos, CA
Do you have a humidifier on your CPAP? They would probably order you one if you let them know. The mask is the key. Get one that works for you and you will sleep like a baby. I loved mine. Now I don't need to use it anymore because of the weightloss.
janet2921
on 5/2/11 4:35 pm - Chicago, IL
Make sure you fill the humidifier with distilled water.  I did not care for the CPAP, but I used it. pre-op.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

seattledeb
on 5/2/11 5:14 pm
CPAP will save your life. Also..the poster above was right..don't use mentholatum with it.
The good news is about 80% of post rny'er's cure their apena.
I was in the minority and still wear cpap. I can't sleep without it. Your body wants oxygen while you sleep. You will feel better.
Keep putting it on..you will get used to it.
Deb T.

Bonnie ABC
on 5/2/11 8:16 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
If you can't try to be compliant with a cpap to save your life, how will you be compliant with your wls to save your life?   Just something to think about.    Sometimes life isn't going to be easy, but it is worth it.  And yes, I had a bi-pap for 6 years, pressure of 17, so I know what it's like.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
TamaraL
on 5/2/11 8:58 pm
Sunny

Try to wear the mask a few hours each night and then take it off.  After a a week to 10 days tf will get easier and you will be able to wear it longer.

Increase the humidifier if its not working enough.  There should be a control knob for it. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 436 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 332 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?