Pylori found in blood test - 10 days before my surg.

SelfPay
on 5/2/11 3:28 pm

I met with my Surgeon last week.  He ordered blood tests after my consultation.  Today, I met with the Anesthesia Nurse, the Nutritionist and the Surgeon’s RN and Administrator and finally, Patient Accounts.  At the end of everything, I presented my American Express card and watched as the Patient Accounts person swiped it through for a $24,000 approval.  I’m self pay and it had to be paid today.  My Lap RNY is May 12th.

But, I digress.  What really concerned me was that my blood work came back with this little scoundrel called H. Pylori living in my stomach.  There was so much information being discussed with me today that I kind of blew this off and then once home began to wonder how serious this is or is not while  kicking myself for not questioning it further while talking to the RN – but I will call him tomorrow just to calm my concerns.

Reading the forums, it appears quite a few folks have had it.  Most seem to have found it close to their surgery dates (within 10-14 days) and were given the meds to clear it, hopefully.   They continued with the surgery at the end of the 10-14 days.

In my case, the Surgeon’s RN arranged for me to pick up the scripts on the way home and I have started them tonight for a ten day course.  I’m taking Amoxicillin, Clarithromcyin and Omeprazole.  I imagine an all out war taking place in my stomach over the next ten days. 

Does my case, sound unusual or concerning or is this about right considering that a lot of patients have it prior to surgery and take the meds to clear it.  I don’t want to postpone the surgery but at the same time, I want to make sure I understand how to mitigate the risk this H. Pylori creates.

lynnc99
on 5/2/11 9:07 pm
I went through the antibiotic treatment for h pylori. The tricky thing is that a blood test can still come back positive after the antibiotics, because the bacteria continues be present in your system.

So following the antibiotics, ask for a stool sample to verify that the problem has been taken care of. You may always test positive via a blood test!
(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 10:26 pm - Winter Park, FL
I am on my 11th day of my 14 day Prevpac as well for H. Pylori,.. I should have been done but I delayed a tad in filling my script. I agree,. it has been a slight war on my tummy!

My surgery is on May 19 but they did tell me that it should be fine for my surgery. Im self paying as well and its been increibly hard to coordinate my schedule in terms of clients, taking time off and making sure I have family here for my surgery since I have no family near me. So I will be asking for a stool sample just to make sure its gone!

Dont scold yourself too much, sometimes its hard to think of appropiate questions when one was just given new information. Seems like you are doing your research and you will be fine! Congrats on May 12!
Ranny
on 5/2/11 10:55 pm
I had my surgery 33 days ag0 and had to also take the Prev pack prior to surgery.  Yesterday I went back for my 30 day follow up and had to be retested for H. Pylori to be sure it was gone.  I did the breath test and I still have it according to the test.  I am still struggling with eating and now I have to take all these dang pills again for this dang bacteria.  I really don't think I'll make it.  I can't stand to crush the pills and put them in applesauce, it gags me.  Really considering trying to take them normally and drink with hot coffee.  Any suggestions?  So aggravated at this point!
Ranny    
vervetoloose
on 5/3/11 12:23 am
My pylori preop was also diagnosed by breath test. Very fast and simple test/results. I wouldn't recommend taking the pills with anything hot though.

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

SelfPay
on 5/3/11 12:53 am
Okay, thanks everyone. 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 232 views