diet 7up with splenda

Sunshine1965
on 5/17/11 9:12 am
My Dr. says not to drink any carbonated beverages :(
fryeme2
on 5/17/11 9:12 am - Charleston, IL
Just an FYI the doctors do NOT recommend carbonated beverages to bariatric patients, especially the Rouen Y.  As it was explained to me, carbondated beverages can and will stretch your pouch out.  You definitely don't want to do this so early on because you still want to keep your eating to 2 oz at one sitting.  Just a thought for you.  Hope things are going well for you!!
Take care

sarah
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/11 10:19 am - OH
You were lied to... soda CANNOT and WILL NOT stretch your pouch!

Even the ASMBS warns against smoking and various other substances that can cause medical issues post-op, but does not warn of carbonated beverages OTHER THAN as a potential detriment to long-term weight maintenance because of the general studies (with non-WLS people)  that show a correlation (but NOT causation, BTW!) between soda consumption and weight gain.

So then we are left with the basic laws of physics and info from surgeons who believe in telling their patients the truth about why they prefer them to stay away from soda rather than trying to take advantage of their fear of failure. (see http://drsimpson.net/07_surgery_stories%20%28ss%29/7_ss_02/RNY/RNY.htm, for example).  The pouch is created from the area just below the esophagus and from the beginning of the lesser curvature of the stomach which is the least stretchy portion of the stomach (the sleeve is formed along the entire lesser curvature).  There is no pyloric valve after a RNY, so fluids of any kind simply go through the pouch as if it was a funnel.  The only way to STRETCH the pouch is to build up pressure in it (e.g., by overfilling it with food).  With carbonated beverages, however, the fluid is only in the pouch for a very short period of time, and -- by the most basic laws of physics -- any of the gas that gets released while it IS in the pouch will exit eitehr back up through the esophagus (as a burp) or will exit into the intestines and will either diussipate or be expelled as flatulence.   There is no way it is possible for enough pressure to build up in an open system like that to generate enough pressure to even expand the pouch (you expand the pouch slightly when you put food into it) let alone permanently stretch it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Wishmeluck123
on 5/17/11 10:31 am
No carbonated beverages are allowed for me. All doctors have different rules and guidelines. However, I think this one is pretty standard, simply due to the fact that the carbonation can stretch out the pouch. Plus it may cause you to have a gassy tummy. I would stay clear. I switched to Crystal Lite Diet Iced Tea w/ Lemon.....Its really good! Also, the lemonade is good...and it counts as our water intake for the day!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/11 10:34 am - OH
Ask your surgeon to show you studies or other evidence that soda can stretch the pouch. (S)he will not be able to because it is hogwash (see explanation above).

Lora

Wishmeluck123
on 5/17/11 10:50 am
Wow Lora ~ That is so interesting....Thank you. I love soda. Especially Fresca. I am going to speak to my surgeon next month, just for curiousity.....Honestly, that really makes sense! On my paperwork it states the whole stretching issue....and the nutritionist told me was well.....

So now you have me curious!!!

Thanks again....

Melissa~
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/17/11 11:55 am, edited 5/16/11 11:55 pm - OH
Please don't misunderstand... I am not advocating drinking soda... just advocating surgeons being honest with patients about WHY they don't want them drinking soda instead of using cheap scare tactics. There are lots of good reasons not to, but pouch stretching is NOT one of them!

Lora

Laura in Texas
on 5/17/11 12:25 pm
The people I know IRL (in-real-life) who drink soda, even diet soda, have either never gotten to goal or have gained a significant amount of weight back.  It's proof enough for me to stay away from it.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

rpickens72601
on 5/18/11 5:35 am - MI
Thanks everyone on your input, i will stay away frompop this early out.....

and to lora......I truely love you, you always break it down all the post i have read where you commented on was straight to the point no short cutting......thanks alot...
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 78 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views