How are vitamins handled while in the hospital?

princessfrogee
on 5/17/11 10:03 pm - AL
What was recommended regarding having your vitamins while in the hospital?  Do you bring your own with you?  Do they give you theirs while there?  Or is it not worried about so soon post-op?

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
poet_kelly
on 5/17/11 10:08 pm - OH
I think they usually say to just start them when you go home.  You'll only be in the hospital a day or two.

They will have any prescription meds you need, though, related to surgery or not.  Like, they gave me my antidepressants while I was in the hospital along with pain meds.

If you're worried about it, ask your doc if they will give you your vitamins and if not, if it's OK if you bring your own.  Same with protein drinks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kimanne01
on 5/17/11 10:08 pm

The hospital gave me my vitamins on the second and third day.  I would ask your doctor though to be sure.

Stacemonster
on 5/17/11 10:15 pm
I didn't start any vitamins until a week after surgery (per my surgeon's plan).  I wouldn't worry about them at all. 

princessfrogee
on 5/17/11 10:37 pm - AL
Ok thank you!

ahmerzrealm
on 5/17/11 10:58 pm - Naperville, IL
Do you take any meds ? Cuz they will give them to you while you are in the hospital. They are usually crushed and mixed in water. That stuff is super bitter.

See if they can mix it in some crystal light for you. The sweetness helps cut down the bitterness.
princessfrogee
on 5/18/11 3:55 am - AL
Sorry, I keep forgetting to reply on the person that asked the question so they get notification that I replied.  Still figuring things out here.  ha ha

ladyquenn
on 5/17/11 11:05 pm - WV
They asked us to bring them all, but that was to just verify what we were taking. While in the hospital they banana bag me (vitamin bag for those that don't know the term) and they gave me in my IV anything else I was needing.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
fatoldbat
on 5/17/11 11:09 pm
i was given my prescription meds in pill form the day after surgery.  i didn't start the vitamins til 1 week post op per my surgeon's instructions.
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Nell R.
on 5/18/11 12:08 am - Hewitt, TX
I was told not to take them till the week after my surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 489 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 389 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 378 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 317 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 174 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?