Can't Eat!!

BritsAQT89
on 5/28/11 7:32 am
Im almost 2 months out from surgery!! When I first got home I was barely able to eat and then about a month or so out I felt like I was able to eat almost everything in small portions and sometimes when I finished my portions I felt like I could eat more (but didnt of course).

Now, Im almost 2 months out and everything sits well, but lately have not had an appetite at all. I will mostly drink atkins protien drinks and maybe little snacks like chips or something like once a day, but I feel like I am beginning to replace my foods with protien drinks and 0 calorie propels!! For some reason, food is not appealing to me right now!

Is this normal!? ...did anyone else go through this!?

nfarris79
on 5/28/11 7:57 am - Germantown, MD
 For the first 5 weeks of recovery I had problems getting things in - first 4 were just getting liquids & proteins in, then week 5 I had total food apathy. Now I am doing much better this week and actually enjoying my mini-portions of food. So, probably normal? I'd check with your surgeon/NUT if the food apathy continues for much longer or interferes with your ability to get in your liquid/protein goals.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

jenbear
on 5/28/11 8:29 am - hagerstown , MD
i am two years out and my food cravings and abilities to even eat change all the time.  Even the things i was able to tolorate change from time to time, hahahah.  But i was thinkn if your not getting any carbs in at all, that in itself will make you not wanna eat, its the side effects of a low carb plan(cant use the word diet around here, just so you know, people are a bit touchy about it, ahahahhahahaah, just kidding)
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/11 9:46 am - OH
It's not that you CAN'T eat (title of your post)... its that you CHOOSE not to eat.  Yes, many people go through a period fo time where they don;t ahve any desire to eat.  The problem is that Propel has ZERO nutrients, and protein shakes don't have much more than just the protein.  You need real food (not chips, however) to be healthy so you should eat whether you feel like it or not.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.