2 1/2 weeks Post Op & I still have a Drain Hole Opening

SavingGrace
on 6/7/11 11:51 am
So this may sound so stupid but I had surgery on 5/23, I got my drain tube out last Friday 6/1 and I still have an open hole from my drain. I would have thought they would put steri-strips or something on it. I asked the doctor when i could take a bath  he said on Friday, in a couple days once the drain has scabbed over.   Scabber over??? its not even closed yet.  I have  banaged it, I have left it to air, I have put neosporin on it, I have put peroxide on it. Any ideas. My doctor apparently not concerned, just me.

lorilea
on 6/7/11 12:01 pm - MN
I think people heal differently.  My drain hold was closed up before I got home and never scabbed over.  I left it alone and it was fine.   i would ask your doctor if you should be doing anything at this point with it.
Stacemonster
on 6/7/11 12:01 pm
Mine took about 2 1/2-3 weeks to scab over, but it did!  Just give it time--it will.  AND I got mine taken out in the hospital on Day 3.

JerseyJim
on 6/7/11 12:28 pm - Sayre, PA
I agree, everyone heals differently. My drain was taken out on the day I was discharged, and by the next day, I had the bandage off because it had scabbed over enough not to bleed on my clothes. I hope yours scabs over soon.
_Donna_
on 6/7/11 12:51 pm
its probably healing on the inside, but i would call your doctor if it isnt scabbed in the next day or so.

By the way, i never even had a drainage tube.

RNY 5-5-2011

Holly O.
on 6/7/11 11:06 pm - Bradenton, FL

I am having surgery next Wednesday and my surgeon said I won't have any drainage tubes, thank goodness!!  I am sure you are healing on the inside!!  Take care!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/7/11 1:01 pm - OH
I didn;t have any drains, but I had a gastric tube into the remnant stomach for the first couple of weeks.  When the surgeon took the tube out, she just put some gauze over it and told me to keep it dry.  It never formed a real "scab" of any kind, but had closed up within two weeks.  Six days is not very long... give it some more time!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

unewillow
on 6/7/11 1:56 pm - CT
I got my drain out post op day 3 and it took forever to fully close over. I didn't put anything on it (stop the peroxide, it can inhibit new cell growth) but I did keep it loosly covered with a band-aid because it was "wet" as it healed. Give it some time, it may not scab over but you should see some yellow-whitish tissue formation inside of the wound.

They wouldn't stitch or put steri strips or anything to close it because that might trap bacteria in the wound. It has to close by what's called secondary intention.

beatrice00
on 6/7/11 10:55 pm - NY
RNY on 04/10/12 with
Don't put anything on it any more. It takes two weeks to heal but it heals from the inside out so you might still have a hole on the surface. Don't pack it with anyhting and let air dry. If it rubs on your clothes put a band aid while dressed then air it out at night. You'll be fine very soon.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views