i need a plan,whats your typical day like

D-J
on 6/14/11 1:26 am

My surgery is in two more days ,,i am trying to figure out a plan  for everything so it doesn't seem overwelming to me,,do you start by taking your vit's and then have a couple of ounces of water,,wait a half hour eat some protien shake,wait a half hour drink water and so on,,by afternoon chew a calcium or two and then start the liquid thing again,,??

I am felling so overwelmed right now thinking about it all, i am on my way to the store to pick up a few more things i might need ,extra broth, cottage cheese,instant potatoes,,i have everything else ,,i think the only thing i am missing is the unflavored unjury (protien),,,,,,,oh and one more question,,,you can't make your shakes in the blender right away when you get home cause of the air bubles it makes in it ,,right???

somebody please give me a typical day so i can se how this goes,,,

Paul C.
on 6/14/11 1:45 am - Cumming, GA

In the begining it will be tough, no I won't sugar coat it, and some days you will feel like it is impossible but you can do it.

my first days were miserable

wake up
sip fluid every 10 minutes (I used a timer)   For me fluid is either water or protein shake.
each hour as planned I would take avite or calcium my vites have iron so I have to take them and multi vite 2 hours apart. Typically I do calcium in the morning and afternoon and multi at night.
Every 3 hours I wold stop drinking and eat a couple bites the resume drinking with the waiting periods required by my surgeon.

I won't say it gets easier each week or even month because I did have complications that through my diet progression way off and still affects how I eat. 

Now my schedule is

4am wake up
430am Eat
5:30-7:30am gym I am now able to drink between 40 and 60oz of fluids during this time period.
7:30 am protein bar
8-9 20oz fluids
9 breakfast
10-12 drink Typically 20oz
12 Lunch
1-3 Drink
3 Snack/protein bar
4-7 Drink
7 Dinner
8-9 Drink
9 snack
10 Protein drink
11 handfull of cheerios

it looks like I eat a lot but my total calories are still 1800 mainly because of the level of my workouts/training.

So as you can see it does get easier as you learn what and how your body tolerates things.  In the first days 2 table spoons of food will seem impossible and then you will hit a point where you question if you eat to much.  Just know that you can do it and will be worth it.

Good Luck

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
jenni93
on 6/14/11 6:00 am
Hey Paul - when do you sleep?  Yikes!  I'd be a zombie if I had your schedule!
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

Paul C.
on 6/14/11 6:26 am, edited 6/14/11 6:27 am - Cumming, GA
While I am at work of course .

Actually the more I workout in the morning the more energy I have during the day.  I am usually in bed by 1030 or 11.  SO I say the cheerios are at ll but they may be right after my night protein drink.  If I don't have something in my pouch when I sleep I make the funkiest noises.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
D-J
on 6/14/11 7:27 am
wow you are super busy,lol,,,that is exactly what is keeping me moving forward in all this,is i know in my heart it will be absolutly worth it,,thanks so much for putting so much into the post ,,you can't know how much i appreciate it,, every bit of info to me helps,,thanks again :)
psx chelly
on 6/14/11 2:09 am

I just want to add that I agree it may be rough for you the first week-ish.  You also may get buyers remorse.... but dont worry, it will get better, and you will get better.

Get some sugar free Popsicle brand popsicles.  Will make you feel better....

If you cant take the thickness of the protein "shakes" like I couldnt, try Syntrax Nectar.  Its like drinking fruit juice.  Vitalady has sample packs cheap. 

Once you get past the first couple weeks, you'll be good to go.  dont worry.

D-J
on 6/14/11 7:32 am
I like the any of the shakes except that i know i will not be able to really blend them like i want to for awhile cause my pre-op class lady said it causes alot of foam in it and the extra air in the stomach is not such a good thing in the beginning,,but i defiinitly got those popsicles today,,hehehe,,thanks
Holly O.
on 6/14/11 2:10 am - FL
Hi!!  My surgery is tommorrow morning.  Just a quick question......did your dietien or nutrionist not go over everything with you............when to start vitamins, etc.  I would call and insist on some worksheets that give you guidelines for the first 3 weeks!!  After 3 weeks post-op I meet with her again to give me the next part of the diet plan and vitamin plan.  Just curious.........feel bad for yu........they spent  a lot of time educating me!!
   Holly                                      
D-J
on 6/14/11 7:18 am
thanks Holly ,,yes the nut did go over all the stuff with me and we got a giant binder with all the stuff you could ever want to know of the wheres and why's,,but i seem to have taken more in by reading other posts and info here and on the net,,the book just seems soooooo txt book,,i mean it's a great guideline and all,,but i was just interested in the way folks went about creating a plan for their first few weeks..i know it really doesn't mean anything till i find out just what i'll be able to tolerate and go from there,,but ,,hell i don't know ,,i guess i'm just getting alittle nervouse ,,surgery is commin up so fast, it seems time is just flyin by now,like some kind of conspiracy,,j/k,,LOL

thanks for posting a reply and i wish you so much good luck for tomorrow,i'll say a prayer for you :)
Bralen
on 6/14/11 6:19 am
It took me about a month to figure out a schedule I could live with. Before that I was totally focused on eating, drinking and taking vitamins.  Now, I start my day with a skinny vanilla latte. While I'm drinking that I take a dose of calcium. The calcium starts my vitamin every two hours schedule. I take three calciums and two multis along with B and gall bladder medication.

Mid morning I drink a protein shake, eat lunch around 1pm, drink another shake around 3pm, and eat dinner around 6pm. When I'm not eating I am drinking either water, iced tea or Crystal Light.  For some reason the multi vitamins no longer upset my stomach if I don't take them with food, so I can take them on a two hour schedule without considering whether I'm eating at the time or not.

Your schedule will look different depending on what you do during the day.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?