treats?

siberiancat
on 6/15/11 6:08 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
It is a mind game for me.  I don't "treat" myself with food.  I don't eat white flour, white sugar, white rice, pasta,junk or fast food.

I want healthy food that nourishes my body and gives me health.

I do give myself "positive self-talk" when I make good decisions.  To celebrate weight loss, birthday, an accomplishment - I buy something (jewelry, good yarn - as I'm a knitter) or I listen to an audiobook, take a nap, take a walk, etc.

In the past (morbidly obese days) I would tell myself "I deserve_______- because_________."  I called it a "treat."  Maybe semantics, but I don't "treat" myself with food.

I'd rather have expensive big red raspberries that provide vitamins, enzymes & fiber than something that will mess with my blood sugar or put me in a carb coma and possibly reawaken the "carb monster" in me.

I am good to myself by buying quality whole, organic, clean food.  I'm worth it.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

seattledeb
on 6/15/11 6:33 am
I love treating myself to the best and ripest produce. It's cheaper than crappy food too.
My local produce guy is so cool. He always has something new and delcious to try.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 6:40 am - Boston, MA
 I love that answer Penny 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/15/11 11:05 am - OH
That's awesome, Penny!  Yesterday my daily "treat" was a second serving of some absolutely delicious fruit salad with cantaloupe, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, kiwi, cherries, and watermelon.  It was heavenly!  (Most days, though, my treat is a small amount of chocolate...)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dianabelle12
on 6/15/11 9:53 am
i love my rice cakes,smart pops and once in awhile sugar free icecream:)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/15/11 11:01 am - OH
I have some kind of "treat" every day.  Well, MOST days... strangely enough, some days I just don't want one.  I am almost 4 years out, though, and I did not start the treats (other than occasionally****il after I got to my goal weight.  For me, a treat can be 6 M&Ms, a couple of RF Nilla wafers, 1/4 C of my favorite full fat ice cream, half a small bag of some kind of salty, crunchy carb treat, etc.  Somewhat oddly, I find that the sweet items rarely cause me to crave more sugar but that the salty carb items (pretzels, cheese crackers, etc.) do frequently make me crave more crunchy carb items... so I try to stick to the sweet treats.

I also have occasional "free days" where I eat whatever I want (still in moderate amounts, of course!) and don't worry about calories or carbs or fat or sugar (well, I keep half an eye on sugar because I *do* dump, but it takes a LOT of sugar to cause it) or even protein for that matter.  For me, that's a special kind of treat that enables me to occasionally enjoy a special occasion without anxiety.  The only "rule" is that it is ONE day, then back to normal eating.

It might not work for some people, but at close to 4 years out and still within 5 pounds of my goal weight, it works for me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Firefly48
on 6/15/11 7:11 pm
Russell Stoffers makes a sugar free candy line. I bought a bag....3 pc have about 140 cal....so I eat one, about once a week, and get my chocolate 'sugar-less' sweet tooth satisfied.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 501 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 575 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 295 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 381 views