Revving Up Your Metabolism?

Paul C.
on 6/15/11 1:19 am - Cumming, GA
The one sure fire way to up your metabolism for the long term is gain some lean muscle mass.  Many people don't realise that during your the rapid weightloss phase that a portion of what you are losing is muscle. 

You don't have to bulk up like a body builder but even the gaining of a few pounds of lean muscle will have an impact. 

Anythin you do in the short term outside of exercise will be just that short term.  Putting in an exercise plan that combines cardio and weight training will give you the best odds of making a long term impact on your over all caloric needs.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Heidi L.
on 6/15/11 9:55 am - San Jose, CA
Thanks everyone!

It has been challenging to say the least having six children and a husband to feed and not snack with them. Why is it that cereal and tortilla chips are the easiest things to get down? *L*

Not able to anything aerobic because of hip problems so I have started "The Female Body Breakthrough" strength training program. Just have to stick with it. Gaining a butt for the first time in my life is exciting!

I live in Alaska and my nutritionist is in Arizona so I cannot meet with her except every 6 months. My next trip down will be in October. My surgeon has moved so I have been assigned a new one. They do not do regular follow-ups like some surgeons do monthly. I can email. Going to support group when I can but they are all Doctor Ellner patients and she has a completely different program.

Any recommendations on calorie intake/usage devices?

I'll take a look at that meal plan when I get a second. Is there a huge difference in metabolism between a 3 meal/day diet versus a 6 meal/day diet?

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/15/11 11:14 am - OH
Eating more frequent (but smaller) meals helps keep your metabolism up throughout the day instead of the peaks and valleys associated with 3 meals per day (and that ONE meal a day that you mentioned someone being on... FORGET THAT... I am shocked that ANY surgeon would recommend such a plan!!).  It also keeps your blood sugar more stable which helps avoid the low energy periods.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Heidi L.
on 6/16/11 7:45 am - San Jose, CA
Thanks for the motivation! Yesterday went great and down 2.5#. Of course probably water weight, but anything is great. Got in 12 cups of liquid. Started tracking my food in the food log.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#