How do you count calories?

Rosanette
on 6/20/11 4:46 am
How do you count calories? I am trying to be more vigilant about it, and it is a pain in the butt. Are there any tricks? 9 calories per oz. of meat, or something like that? And regarding dietary fiber- how do you subtract the calories for that? I tend to lose when I cheat, but that's a recipe for disaster, so I want to up my regualr calories properly.  Thanks.

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we will walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over again the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. -- Thoreau 

Michele816
on 6/20/11 4:54 am
 It easiest with a nutrition tracker -either online or on a mobile device like an Ipod or Iphone.  I use Calorie Counter from Fat Secret.   You can get it on Itunes for free.  I use it everyday.  It will track protein, carbs, fat and calories. There are many others out there.  It is a matter of finding one you like.

It goes without saying that you do have to weigh or measure anything for which the quantity is not obvious.

You don't subtract calories for fiber, you subtract total carbs-i.e. 10 carbs and 3 grams fiber would equal 7 net carbs.  

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/11 4:55 am - TX
I use www.myfitnesspal.com to track everything. I find that they have the most extensive food base for journaling and its very easy to use!
Jenners
on 6/20/11 5:02 am - Indianapolis, IN
I use myfitnesspal.com. It's easy because everything is listed in their food log, you just have to put in the right amount. You can also count how many calories you burn when exercising. Its awesome!
~*~JEN~*~     

HW: 406   SW: 358   CW: 231      
Koko M.
on 6/20/11 5:40 am - Albany, CA
I track with the free program at Fitday.com.  I'm on and off the computer all day anyway, so I just pop in and add what I've eaten each time.  It has a pretty extensive library of foods that already have all the nutritional information input, so you just say what you ate and the amount, and it will break out the calories, and what percentage of your day's calories came from fat, from carbs and from protein.

Koko   

HW-291 :: 1st WLS consult-281 :: Surgery-263 ::  GW-154 :: CW-151 :: In my dreams - 138

FleurDeLis
on 6/20/11 5:47 am
Ditto on the net carbs thing. Also subtract 1/2 of the sugar alcohols. Protein and carbohydrates 4 cal per gram, fat 9 cal per gram.
Meat is tough to do. It is protein but it contains fat. To see this for yourself, check out what 3 oz. of sausage costs you (considered high fat) in calories as vs. 3 oz of lean Canadian Bacon. This is why it is easier to use one of the online trackers.
Restaurants are harder. I was looking at nutrtion information online and it listed a baked potato at this one restaurant as having 2,000 mg of salt.
Anna M.
on 6/20/11 5:51 am - Manchester, NH
I was using livestrong.com but switched to myfitnesspal. Myfitness pal tracks protein a lot better on their mobile app than the livestrong app.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
Karen P.
on 6/20/11 7:15 am
Ditto to myfitnesspal.com. I use it everyday and love it. I tried a few others that people had suggested, but in my opinion, myfitnesspal.com was the easiest to navigate.

Rosanette
on 6/20/11 7:54 am
Thank you all. I have used Fit day, but it takes a good bit of time just to put in a few days worth of information. I suppose it'd get quicker as I added more foods. And if I was diligent, I'd probably be able to guess-timate better over time.

Do any of you guesstimate on a regular basis, as opposed to writing and logging?

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we will walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over again the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives. -- Thoreau 

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 6/20/11 8:35 am
I got a little purse size calorie counter book - it also had fat grams and carb counts. I carried it with me and checked out what I was getting in restaurants and at other functions - like grad partys or buffets. I used it at home until I could pretty well tell you what each food was from memory. Also, having it in print made it possible for me to flip back and forth from page to page
to compare a certain food choice before I ordered it.
Jen 9 yrs post op
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?