My NUT is pushing for RNY?!?!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/20/11 7:25 am
My NUT didn't say that I needed to make a decision today, but she was really batting for RNY.  Her biggest reason was the lack of long term studies of the sleeve.  RNY has the long term data whereas NSG doesn't.  She made me think a lot today and in the end I'm confused.  Please offer some/any advice.  Thanks.
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
poet_kelly
on 6/20/11 7:32 am - OH
What does your surgeon recommend, and why?

I think it's inappropriate for your NUT to be telling you what surgery you should have.  Her area of expertise is supposed to be nutrition.  She should be telling you what vitamins you'll need and stuff, and perhaps letting you know that nutritional deficiencies are much more common with RNY, but she should not be pushing one surgery over another.

My advice?  Talk to your surgeon about which surgery would be best for you, and find a new NUT.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/11 7:50 am
Kelly...
Talking about nutrition/vitamins deficiencies. I know you had problem with B12 before. How are you doing with that?  I have been on B12 injections for almost a year now. First I would get it once a month, then due to lack on energy I decided to do it once every 15 days... then (last 2 months), again due to lack of energy I started doing it every week.
I Just had blood work done.  My B12, with weekly shots was ... 813... Funny. My doc thinks that I metabolize the B12 very fast, that's why it is dropping so much.
He advised me to do what I am doing (once a week shots).  Just so you know...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 6/20/11 7:54 am - OH
I'm doing shots once a week.  I need to go have labs done soon, so I'm not sure what my B12 is right now but I'm expecting it to be OK.  It was kinda low - not terribly low, but lower than I thought was good - when I just did shots once a month.

Glad yours is good now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/11 8:14 am - OH
Ditto what Kelly said.  Especially since, once you lose the caloric malabsorption of the RNY by about 18 months out, you have only your pouch and your new habits to keep you from regaining... which is what you will have with the sleeve (just with a sleeve rather than a pouch) anyway... and you will not have the vitamin issues you will have with the RNY.  Yes, there are more studies with the RNY, but maintaining the weight loss boils down to the exact same thing with BOTH surgeries.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

vervetoloose
on 6/20/11 8:44 am
....sometimes,  you will find a NUT who will push for the surgery most easily covered by insurance, therefore to increase the business for the group she works for and not for the smame reason you may be considering different WLS's ...make sure that is not what is happening in your  case.

" Oh you who love clear edges more than anything...........watch the edges that blurr."

Most Active
Recent Topics